apple keyboard query

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bob2131, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

wireless new apple keyboard doesnt have number pad??

wired apple keyboard has number pad??

why is there a million identical apple keyboards on the apple website?

any other differences? with wireless and wired?

wireless keys for macbook......would take batteries, and also drain the the macbook battery, cause bluetooth on.......right???
    so wired keyboard makes more sense, right?

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Okay, here's the breakdown:

Current gen. bluetooth keyboard has no number pad, and no USB input.

Current gen. wired keyboard does have the number pad and 2x USB 2.0 inputs.

Frankly, I hate the wireless keyboard. I can't find a single reason why they removed the number pad. It's an awful design flaw.

I'd say go with the wired. Cheaper and better. But why do you need a keyboard for your laptop?

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

number pad needs to be on the macbook too.....so much faster to touch type numbers......

i want external keyboard cause i love the new apple keyboard, and plus the number pad......and im gonna plug my macbook into an external monitor at home.......so get the feel and benefits of a desktop set up........and then can alos unlug and go elsewhere with my laptop..........feel me?

thanks

4. Xavier macrumors 68020

I bought the older version of the Apple wireless keyboard (white) for my macbook pro exclusively for gaming.

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so older version apple keyboards are still available??
    second hand or can you buy them brand new??

anyone know a good uk reseller? or uk website?

all the pics im seeing on the websites, are too small, i cant see the the details of the keyboards, the keys etc.

if i went to the apple shop they would only have the current model right??

so the latest one, the thin one, all the ones prior to this were not thin???
    or are there multiple versions of the thin ones??

6. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

The new keyboards (introduced in 2007), wired and wireless, are both very thin and made from aluminum with white plastic keys. As has already been stated, the wireless version does not have a numeric keypad. You can find these on Apple's webiste: http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

The previous keyboards (intoduced in 2005? or 2003...I forget), which also came in wired and wireless, looked more like a "traditional" keyboard, with "normal"-size white keys. In fact, the whole keyboard was white, except for an outer and bottom casing of clear plastic. Both wired and wireless versions look nearly identical except for, of course, the lack of cord on the wireless.

Before that white keyboard there was another that looks decently similar, although with some extra space behind the function keys (I believe there was an extra USB port there) and, I believe, one fewer function key, and the function keys were grouped into four rather than going straight across without gaps as they now do. There was also a black version of this keyboard that was later discontinued, leaving only the white version.

...and before that, I think there was another black keyboard, and before that, all the iMac G3 keyboards, and before that, you'll be taken to the pre-USB land of ADB keyboards. :)

But yeah ... the only keyboard you can find from Apple anymore is the newer aluminum ones. (For a while, they sold the white generation before it as refurbished, but I haven't seen them in the refurb store for a while now, and I assume they are all gone.) If you search eBay or Google, however, you can definitely find some of the white generation before (or before that...or however far back you want to go :)), probably both new and used.

I'm thinking about getting the previous-generation white Bluetooth keyboard myself, since I would like an external keyboard to use along with my external monitor for my MacBook...that I am waiting until September to buy and hope I'm not let down (I just sold my old one :D)...and I am not a fan of the lack of numeric keypad on the new one.

Hope this helps!

7. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thankyou for clearing that up. number keypad is essential. im gonna go with the new wired one. the older one is more heavier....and bulkier....

and you get usb ports with the wired one...

thanks

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

• Yes, the wireless keyboard has no number pad. It's exactly like the keypad on the newest MacBook Pro, so I don't have to "shift gears" when moving from one keyboard to another.
    • The wired keyboard has the number pad.
    • There are only two keyboards, wired or wireless, not a million.
    • The other difference is the wired keyboard has 2 USB ports; the wireless doesn't.
    • Wireless keyboards use 3 AA batteries and they last for months. They don't draw power from the MacBook.
    • I use a wireless keyboard with my MacBook Pro when I'm at the desk. It's very comfortable and reduces the wear and tear on the MBP keyboard and palm rests. I'd rather be pounding all day on a $79 keyboard than a $3,000 MacBook Pro.