Apple Keyboard Replacement Inquiry

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bskiba101, Nov 7, 2018.

1. bskiba101 macrumors newbie

bskiba101

hey guys!

I finally bit the bullet and sent my MacBook Pro 2016 to apple for keyboard replacement program. After months of trying to fix the keys with dust and opening the key caps for some tricky letter keys I couldn’t do it any longer.

What I’m really concerned about is the potential water damage from cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. What worked for me was using a damp isopropyl cloth to clean the keys. Once, I might have overdone it and needed to blow dry the keys.

The computer worked perfectly and had no issues at all, minus some uneven backlight until all alcohol dried from the cleaning.

Do you guys think that would trigger the water sensors? I’m worried that now they will refuse to replace the keyboard.

TLDR cleaned keyboard with isopropyl alcohol and now afraid that could trip up water sensors.

2. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Isopropyl alcohol is isopropyl alcohol, not water. And if there's water, it's a minimal amount.

I don't think that it triggered the water sensors- people will immerse entire motherboards in the stuff. You should be fine.

But here's some food for thought: if your couch is full of dust, do you a) use a vacuum cleaner or air blower; b) take it to the couch repair guy or c) immerse it in alcohol??

3. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

That depends on the concentration of Alchohol to Water. 70% Isopropyl is 30% water, which may be enough to cause an issue. I never use it anywhere near electronics myself. I prefer to use something along the lines of MG Chemicals 99%, but at least 91%.

4. bskiba101 thread starter macrumors newbie

bskiba101

I get your point, before the lovel 90 degree angle and dust can graphic released by Apple, a genius said it wouldn’t hurt to use small amounts of isopropyl to get rid of anything such as sugars which could cause issues with button clicks. You do raise good points tho and cool couch analogy

5. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

People usually forget that there's a blower port on their garage vacuum. I use that all the time for dusting and also drying stuff.

6. bskiba101 thread starter macrumors newbie

bskiba101

Huh! That’s pretty neat. I just go with compressed air and if needed the isopropyl