Apple Keyboard...shocking

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shieldyoureyes, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. shieldyoureyes macrumors 6502


    Nov 1, 2005
    Uppsala, Sweden
    So, I sort of have an odd problems. I have had an Apple keyboard (The new style) for about 3 months. Today, it started shocking me. Nothing huge, but it is definitely uncomfortable/unpleasant to use. No big changes, no spills, no drops.

    By the way...Macbook Pro, latest revision, OS 10.4.11

    any ideas?
  2. djellison macrumors 68020

    Feb 2, 2007
    Pasadena CA
    I've often got shocks from USB devices on my PC desktop machine, and even from the screws on the bottom of my Macbook from time to time.

  3. shieldyoureyes thread starter macrumors 6502


    Nov 1, 2005
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Hmmm...went to go cook dinner, came back to work on my paper and it stopped. Too bad I no longer have an excuse to procrastinate :D
  4. 23am macrumors regular


    Oct 7, 2007
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is your computer connected to a grounded socket?
  5. benpatient macrumors 68000

    Nov 4, 2003
    just to be clear...static shock, or AC/DC shock?

    does it pop and crackle, or does it grab and buzz?
  6. jeremy.prz macrumors newbie

    Oct 29, 2007
    Also being shocked by new thin keyboard

    I am also being shocked by my new Apple Keyboard (thin metal USB version). I get shocked multiple times a day by my keyboard at work, but not at home (different keyboard). My work keyboard is connected to my MacBook Pro (Core Duo) through an iogear 'peripheral sharing device' (one USB keyboard/mouse multiple computers).

    I know for a fact that it is not static discharge. I will be sitting stationary, get shocked, take my hands off the keyboard, put them back on 10 seconds later & get shocked again. If it were static, I'd only get shocked once (the first shock would have discharged the static).
  7. koobcamuk macrumors 68040


    Oct 23, 2006
    Sexual tension?

    I only have the wireless - not shocks.
  8. Mr9758 macrumors regular

    Dec 5, 2007
    :D Am I the only one who finds this shockingly funny?
  9. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

    May 8, 2007
    In all reality, you're shocking the keyboard. Likely, with the winter months coming along you're building up more static charge and discharging that onto the aluminum keyboard.
  10. vohdoun macrumors 65816


    Jan 23, 2006
    Far away from Earth.
    I chuckled at koobcamuk as well.
  11. desenso macrumors 6502a


    May 25, 2005
    This was my guess, too
  12. vrod1234 macrumors newbie

    Feb 20, 2008
    Apple Keyboard Shocking

    Please forgive me if I do not post this reply correctly but this is my first time. I found my way here by doing a google search for a recurrung problem with my MacBook. Whenever I lift the computer up with both hands and my skin touches one of the two little screws found on either side of the computer, I get a shock. NO, it is not static electricity. If I leave my hands in that position I can feel a continuous flow of current which does not hurt but is uncomfortable. I was hoping to find an answer on this forum.

    Any info would be appreciated.

  13. larkn macrumors newbie

    Feb 20, 2008
    I also just found my way here by doing a search about my new apple keyboard shocking me. It's not static electricity in any way I know it. It only happens every now and then, but when it does, it does so repeatedly. Then it stops as sudden as it started. Strange...
  14. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

    Aug 28, 2007
    I get shocked by my Al keyboard every time I sit down to use it. Even the mouse ball will shock me once in a while.
  15. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

    Jan 28, 2008
    IL, USA
    It has to be static or else it's a VERY defective device. I have NEVER gotten any sort of static or electric shock from any device, including USB, Firewire, etc. If you are then contact the vendor instantly and stop use.

    I have mine properly grounded and outlets checked by an electrician. They are then connected to my APC Power Backup unit and never once have I had an issue that way. Nothing and I mean nothing should ever be "shocking" from electrical. If you are on carpet or wear certain types of clothing, especially during Winter months, they will retain static charge. One way to tell and something I always do is touch a metal screw near your light switch plate cover or a metal door knob. Chances are you will discharge and this even mens while sitting down.

    If it was all USB or Apple devices like the keyboard then there would be an immediate recall. Any sort of electrical problem, especially a shock is very dangerous and leaves them wide open for a class action suite. That's why I say it has to be something else and is certainly not wide spread.
  16. beatledud macrumors 6502

    May 4, 2006
    I've read and experienced this rationale myself; apparently your laptop going through x-ray machines will cause your keyboad/top panel to shock you temporarily. Nothing major. I was noticing this myself, and realized that my computer was doing this regularly when I was flying regularly. As I haven't flown in months, I haven't experienced this problem in months.
  17. jus101 macrumors newbie

    Jul 30, 2008
    I too am getting shocked. Started about a week ago. I put it down to static... but now I'm certain it's not static because the shock continues as long as i'm touching the keyboard..

    It's damn annoying - although it does teach good touch typing (i have to avoid the metalic parts of the keyboard and only hit the plastic keys which do not shock).
  18. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
  19. pinktank macrumors 6502

    Apr 5, 2005
    sounds funny, Your usb isn't grounded properly, happens in macbook pros too sometimes.
  20. vrod1234 macrumors newbie

    Feb 20, 2008
    Apple Keyboard shocking

    Can the Apple store fix this or does the computer have to be shipped back?


  21. Pixellated macrumors 65816

    Apr 1, 2008
    My friend's Dell XPS M1330 shocks me all the time when i come over to remove viruses on it that he got from *Somewhere* :D
  22. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    This is a ground issue. USB in particular poses certain difficulties, and Laptops are the worst. :(

    BTW, is your system a desktop or laptop unit? :confused:

    Assuming your computer is a desktop, have you tried plugging the computer into an outlet that is known to be grounded? ;) (Say a friends house, public building...).

    If all else fails, make an appointment at a Genius Bar, or call Apple Care. Your choice. :eek: :)
  23. larkn macrumors newbie

    Feb 20, 2008
    Shocking keyboard

    Just to update, I found my problem shortly after I posted, it was static after all.

    I had the heat vent along with an air filter ionizer blowing at my back. I guess I was really charging myself up because it stopped after I turned the ionizer off.
  24. iPhoneAIR macrumors newbie

    Dec 16, 2008
    KEYBOARD SHOCK ~ Static?

    I keep getting static shocks with my 2month old al keyboard, it only started recently, a couple of days ago... for some reason it doesnt shock me when the aluminum contacts the tip of my fingers but i ALWAYS get a shock on the outer facing side of my right arm... Im scared that my brand new MacBook Air is causing the problem because ever since I had set my MBA down on the same table as my Al keyboard, i fear that my new laptop is causing the problem... even if I take my macbook air off the table, the keyboard still shocks me. The keyboard is plugged into a 3rd-party usb extender which is connected to my Core Duo Black MacBook. Coincidence? HELP!! The static stops for a few touches when i remove the extender but then after that, it starts shocking again... Im worried that my MBA will start shocking me when I touch it if it is the cause of the problem...

    Help... Im a 13 year old Cochlear Implant Receiver and my mom tells me that static can be very harmful the my implant inside my head...
  25. jackcarp13 macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2009

    Its because it is connected to your computer. I have the new aluminum iMac with a wired keyboard and mouse and if you have a carpet you will almost always get shocked when touching the gadgets. The keyboard isnt that bad just annoying but every once in a while the mouse would give a huge bolt through the scroller and it would hurt. So i immediatly bought the wireless mouse and that solved that but im trying to stay away from buying the wireless keyboard because i enjoy the convenience of the USB ports on either side

    rock on:apple:

Share This Page

40 November 20, 2007