Apple Keyboard - Think i have blown it...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Josh Kahane, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

A little while ago when i was testing a setup for my mac, i plugged my mouse and old white apple keyboard (one before the current slim ones) into a USB hub, however i think I plugged the hub in with the wrong power supply and blew the fuse or whatever the is to blow on the keyboard and mouse, now if i connect them to USBs they just dont work.

Is this possible to fix? Would be a shame for a good keyboard to go to waste, is it possible if i took it to my local PC store (they fix stuff for people) and see if they can get it fixed? Or no point? Thanks.

2. thecoard macrumors member

thecoard

I did the EXACT same thing. On mine, the light on caps lock key had a fainter tint to it, and it isn't recognized. Yours, like mine, may be done.

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Are you sure it isn't just the hub that's blown, and by "connect them to USBs" do you mean directly into the USB ports on your Mac? If 'yes' to both questions, then the keyboard and mouse are probably history. You may also need to check the USB port that the hub was plugged into.

Getting the items fixed is probably not worth it. I always suggest to people buying new peripherals like a kb or mouse, that they go the generic PC way, or something like Genius or Logitech, because their stuff is much cheaper than Apple and works just as well with OS X. Just a few minor differences, like the Command and Option keys.

4. thecoard macrumors member

thecoard

I'm going to disagree on the generic keyboard way. I will say, after having blown a wired keyboard, thinking about getting the bluetooth keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard isn't a bad idea either. That way, you don't have to worry about blowing it again. It sucks, and I completely feel your pain.