Apple Keyboard with NumPad or Wireless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alvi, Jan 17, 2011.

?

NumPad Wired Keyboard or Wireless Keyboard

1. Wired Apple Keyboard with NumPad

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. Wireless Apple Keyboard without NumPad

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

My NumPad Apple Keyboard is starting to die after 3 years or more of use, the Space bar doesn't always work and that's just unusable, I tried to take it off and clean it but it didn't help.

I use the NumPad sometimes, but the advatange of a Wireless keyboard is that it is basically the same design of my MacBook's one and I can also use it from my couch and put it away easily when I don't need it, Which one should I get?

2. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Id go wireless, Plus They sell a wireless calculator that works as a numpad if you need it.

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I think you've already made up your own mind :D I much prefer the wired, extended keyboard, but if you do go wireless you can use your iPhone as the numeric pad - which is pretty cool. :)

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I work as a proofreader and I'm also a grad student so I want to be able to navigate text with the keyboard quickly and without having to look for the tiny arrow keys, so the wired keyboard is a must for me. I also prefer not having to worry about batteries. But yea, this is up to you. If you don't really need the arrow keys or the num pad, I'd say go for the wireless one.

5. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Never thought about using the iPhone as the numpad, or a ipod if you want to avoid the calls.

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Check out the iPhone/iPod app NumberKey. It works great over USB or bluetooth! You need to install a little app on your Mac as well.

7. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Aren't the arrow keys that ergdegdeg mentioned pretty tiny on the wireless keyboard? That alone is enough to keep me on the wired version. Plus don't forget the wireless version lacks the two handy USB ports that the wired one has...

8. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Wired with num keypad... the feel of the tactile is different...

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Definitely the wired version with numpad.

I've got 3 of those and 2 Wireless versions (2 Battery and 3 Battery) and I never really got into the wireless versions. They are great on the couch, but for series typing work, I prefer the wired versions.
    Although both keyboards seem to be identical, they feel very different. The wired version is much more sturdy and the keystroke feels way better.

10. remmy macrumors 6502a

You want to use it from your couch, the wireless one is a definite, the numpad adds weight and takes up space.

Only if you are desperate for the number pad would you get the wired version, other wise it is a waste just sitting there doing nothing and getting in the way.

11. ndraves macrumors member

I think everyone will have their own opinion depending on what their uses are. Basically for most people a good keyboard is important as they use it nearly all the time. So unless you already know the feel of both the keyboards already pop down to an apple store and spend a little time on each and see what you think.

The other approach which I'm lucky enough to have is one of each. Wired on the desk for work, wireless from the couch (kept the wired from an old mac)

12. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

13. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I prefer the wired with keypad keyboard for a number of reasons. No batteries to replace, I use the keypad a lot, arrow keys are bigger.

15. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

The wireless looks much nicer IMO when sitting on the desk. Unless you need the numpad I would go for the wireless.

16. Maniia macrumors newbie

Just got the wired one with numpad and I love it :) Also much cheaper than expected, so +++

17. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

go for the wireless if you don't like the wires and want to drag it along with you to other areas., I would like to see Apple add a numpad to the wireless keyboard in the future it would be useful :)

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then check this out (posted earlier in this thread): Cropmark LMP Bluetooth Keypad

19. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

21. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

There is also a wireless keyboard with numeric pads, they are one generation older. White plastic with clear body (M9270LL/A)... comes with a wireless pro mouse as well (M9269Z/A)...