Apple keyboard with USB 3.0 ports?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TriCube, Nov 15, 2012.

1. TriCube macrumors newbie

So I've been wanting to get an external keyboard for my rMBP. The thing holding me back is that it would take up one of the two USB ports. The wired keyboard seems fitting since it as two more ports (as well as the number pad), however, the ports on the side are USB 2.0, and naturally, I wouldn't want to sacrifice my 3.0 port to get two 2.0 ports.

Will Apple ever release a keyboard that has USB 3.0 ports on it? Or does anyone know if this is in the making? I'm sure Apple would think of producing new ones if this is possible, right? I'm not entirely sure if it's possible, or when this latest model keyboard came out, however.

Has anyone heard if it's in the making? Advice to just buy the current one/ wait for a new one is welcome. Thanks! :)

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

What's wrong with just getting a wireless keyboard? Then it wouldn't use up either of your ports.

3. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I doubt Apple will make a USB 3.0 keyboard as those USBs are really just for connecting a wired mouse, and there are few things you can connect to the keyboard unless they are externally powered.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Get a 4 to 10 port powered USB 3 hub and plug that into one of the native USB 3 ports on the Mac. That is what we did for the wife's machine to plug in her wired keyboard, wacom, backup drive, card reader...etc. Note our external drives for storage are on thunderbolt connections. So USB ports are only for devices where read/write speeds are not so critical.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Some people don't like wireless input devices. Personally, I've yet to find a wireless mouse that doesn't lag, they ALL lag. Some people don't notice it, but I do. Wireless keyboard? I don't see the point other than to eat up batteries.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I can understand the mouse thing, but keyboard... There're rechargeable batteries... and it takes about half a year in my experience to run the batteries out. I'm sure the power consumption between a wired and wireless are fairly comparable and negligible.

Plus, if you're wireless, you're not tied ~3ft to your computer, which can be extremely useful for numerous occasions. An example could be when your computer is hooked up to your TV (or mirrored via Apple TV).

Also, going back to the OP, it frees up a USB port and reduces clutter.

So, there you go, numerous pro-points for a wireless keyboard :)

7. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

+1 for an elegant, inexpensive and potentially easy to overlook solution.

8. Marx55 macrumors 65816

Whenever possible, there is nothing like a wired connection, including Ethernet and Keyboard/Mouse. It would be great if Apple made a USB 3.0 wired keyboard with two USB 3.0 ports (Hub) to connect USB 3.0 peripherals.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So I guess they should've just stuck with USB1.1 then?

You probably don't realise but you can charge an iPad through the keyboard with full 10W passing through it.

10. Marx55 macrumors 65816

Expect the new USB 3 keyboard at the National Association of Broadcasters (days: 6th to 11th; month: April; year: 2013)
    http://www.nabshow.com

Brand new Mac Pro with Thunderbolt and USB 3.
    Brand new numeric keyboard w¡th built-in USB 3 hub.
    Brand new Thunderbolt Display w¡th built-in USB 3 hub.

Great!

11. theluggage macrumors 68030

No numeric pad.
    Bottom row of keys all scrunched-up to fit in the tiny cursor keys.
    No page up/down, beginning/end keys.
    No forward delete key.

12. Marx55 macrumors 65816

Besides the problems or impossibility to:

- Reset PRAM
    - Boot in Safe mode.
    - Boot in single user mode.
    - Boot in verbose mode.
    - TREMENDOUS WASTE OF BATTERIES WORLDWIDE.
    - NO battery, no joy!
    - Etc, etc, etc.

13. John Kotches macrumors 6502

I've done all of these without a problem with the wireless keyboard.

I use one at work and get 4-6 months out of a set of batteries. I use rechargeable batteries.

What's your actual argument? If you don't like it that's fine, it's a preference. I like it and use it on both PC and Mac. Works fine once you get used to it.

----------

None of these are real issues for me. But keyboards are a very personal thing so what I like and what you like might not be the same.

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Today we got a box from B&H with our magic mice and recharger. We still use USB keyboard.

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

Um, ok. Not sure why we needed to know that. :confused:

16. APlotdevice, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

FWIW, A Logitech solar BT keyboard solves the battery issue. (in fact you never even have to wake the keyboard up)

Page up/down and home/end can be replicated using the up/down arrows in conjunction with the fn and command keys, respectively. Forward delete can be accomplished using fn+delete.