Apple keyboards, mice and trackpad due for a update?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jfoley89, Sep 30, 2013.

1. jfoley89 macrumors regular

Was wondering if anyone else felt this way, it's been a few years since they have updated these 3 things and I think it's about time they did. If they were to update them, what changes would you like to see? Here is my list.

1. Backlight on wireless keyboard
    2. Wireless keyboard with number pad
    3. TouchID on the keyboards
    4. Make a stylus for the touchpad so you can digitally sign documents and freehand draw

I think the only changes that need to be made to the Magic Mouse is possibly making it fit the hand better cause long time use makes my hand cramp, and possibly more gestures?

2. amarcus macrumors 6502

TL;DR: I don't see an update happening any time soon.

Both of these have been possible for sometime and Apple hasn't bitten so I see no reason to expect these anytime soon.

This will require software support from OS X. Mavericks is almost with us and there haven't been any leaks suggesting that this is the case (unlike with the iOS7 betas!). I doubt Touch ID would come to the Mac as a point upgrade. Therefore I believe we'll see Touch ID at least 1 year from now in OS X 10.10.

Apple's capacitive technology is geared towards processing fingertips. As far as I know the multi-touch processing is mostly performed in hardware. Basically using a stylus will provide a sub-optimal experience without large design changes to accommodate it. This is the same reason virtually all styluses on the iPad suffer. Can't see this making an appearance without some kind of "breakthrough".

Adam