Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
What are Apple keyboards like on a PC? Im not talking about Bootcamp, but on a real PC with Windows. I know that they function as a generic keyboard, but do the basic buttons like volume work? Windows supports stuff like volume and certain other buttons for generic driverless keyboards and mice, but Apple keyboards may not send the standardized command for volume that Windows would recognize (I imagine they do since my Dinovo's volume and media player keys work just fine in OS X even though logitec doesnt have mac drivers).

Im thinking about picking up a wired keyboard for the PC since theyve finally gone with the far supperior laptop style keys, but I would definately need the volume keys to work so I can adjust the volume from inside a game.

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
i've had the same question too.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304270
this might help

it's the Apple keyboards and keyboard mapping in windows XP

"If you disable the Apple Keyboard Support driver, Windows XP will not recognize the extended Function keys on Apple external keyboards"

according to Apple, unless you're using bootcamp and the Apple drivers, you don't get the same extended functionality.

still, it would make a pretty bad @$$ generic keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.