Apple keyboard's USB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by c073186, May 31, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

On Apple's store page for the wired keyboard, it says, "*Devices that draw high power from the USB connection, such as iPod, hard drives and some flash drives, can only be used with the new keyboard when it is attached to the aluminum iMac." I have a Mac Pro... shouldn't that be able to power those as well as an iMac would? Is that page just out of date? Or is there some reason it will not work with the Mac Pro? Or, what about an ACD?

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yeah, they put the iMacs usb power output higher than usual i think... I certainly can't use most USB drives in my mac mini's keyboard, and i've used powermac G5s and not been able to use the keyboard USB for some things too.

So I'm quite sure that it only works with new iMacs for devices that draw a lot of power.

3. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I use the wired aluminum keyboard with my MacBook Pro and it powers, charges, and syncs my iPod and iPhone as if the device was actually plugged into the computer. I am using the newest Penryn MBP. Maybe Apple did the same thing with the MBP as they did the iMac???