Apple laptop, Apple tablet, Android phone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DB14ify, May 23, 2013.

1. DB14ify macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I've been using samsung galaxy s2, then bought the galaxy s3 before I had any :apple: device. Got myself an iPad 3 because I couldn't resist the retina display and then got the macbook pro retina 13 inch. Now it feels like my phone is out of it. I cant sync anything from my mac to my phone, my s3 tends to lag a lot nowadays, and I cant take the plastic feel of samsung phones anymore. So... iPhone 5 (upgrade to iOS 7 later on)? Wait for iPhone 5s? Or get the HTC One and stick to android?
    Appreciate it.
    Peace! :D

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Wait for the 5S.
    Your GS3 is fine, and the design and features of the 5 are just gonna be improved upon in the 5S, so wait 4 months for a better iP5.
    Having a MacBook and iPhone is very nice, everything just works for me, very convenient.
    When I got a Samsung Tab, having to download all that new software and whatnot just to get it to sync was a pain, so I returned it.
    The Apple ecosystem is very pleasant.

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Wait for a new phone.

I gave up on my iPhone5. I have one, but basically haven't touched it in months. Love my rMBP, riPad, and S4 combo. Spoiled by the high-res screens these days :D

It would be nice to switch back to iPhone permanently, but unless Apple does anything noteworthy in the phone sector soon, it's not worth it anymore. Android is simply a better platform these days for phones. Tablets, prefer iOS. Android for tablets sucks.

If your S3 is lagging, uninstall all the crap, if not, do a factory reset. Mine was smooth as butter. One of the best phones, I've owned.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Macs, iPads and Android can co-exist. There's an app for that. ;)

Eltima Syncmate.

I used to use it when I had an HTC Touch Pro.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I would say software will definitely be improved in 5S, overall hardware should remain the same.

6. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

I have an iMac/iPad/HTC One and couldn't be happier. I use my phone the most out of three and don't feel like I'm missing out on sticking with one ecosystem :)

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What, exactly, are you looking to sync between your phone and your computer? I switch between devices all the time and have no issues syncing anything. I just use Google services.

8. DB14ify thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably music, apps from iPad I can have on iPhone as well etc. The thing is iOS works very well and it doesn't lag. My s2 started lagging before I sold it and same thing with the s3. They talk about jelly bean and project butter, but a phone like the s3 shouldn't lag. Mine is the international quad-core version.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

That's just the nature of Android. Even the S4 has lag compared to iPhone. I would get the HTC One if you want a phone right now or get the 5s if you don't mind waiting a few months.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I used to use a variety of different devices simultaneously (depending upon location and mood)... iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, MBP, Samsung GTab 2 7.0, Galaxy SII Skyrocket, Kindle Fire HD 7.

I love the openness of Android, didn't like the lag and poor battery life. I also didn't like the very small intersection of apps that allowed for cross-platform operability.

The only reason why I stuck with an Android phone was because of Google Navigation, which I relied on heavily when traveling. (I even resorted to using the iPhone while in town and then popping out the SIM and into an Android phone for travel) Once Google released Google Maps for iOS, I went to sticking exclusively with the iPhone 4 (AT&T version using StraightTalk prepaid).

It is indeed much easier to have an Apple notebook/tablet/phone.

But then again, I'm not the type that needs to have the absolute latest and greatest spec'ed hardware. I need things that simply work, work well, and don't require me to babysit them more than is necessary. I can go days between charging my iPhone... none of my Android phones lasted more than a day/day and a half before requiring a recharge.

11. SMDBill macrumors 6502

More important to me than the phone itself is the OS. Wait for iOS to release 7 and see if you like what you see/read. If not, go with an Android.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Also, The Missing Sync.

Even still, I really liked my Droid X but it felt disjointed. Mac Mini, MB Air, Mac Pro, ATV, iPad etc ... the Droid just wasn't fitting.

13. Elvergun macrumors 6502

Elvergun

I got myself an iPad 3 and then I got the 27 imac. I now have an iPhone 5, which replaced my old Android Incredible. The only phone that would make me go back to Android would be the HTC One, but just like you, I would feel like my phone is out of it. I would wait for the new 5s...if you don't think the new phone can compete with the One or if you don't like the new iOS 7interface, you can always get the HTC model.

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

This is precisely why I continue to buy iPhones despite some very impressive hardware on the Android side. Everything just works so seamlessly between my Apple stuff that I don't need or want to switch to another OS

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I used to be in a similar setup to you (Mac, iPad, Windows Phone) and I found they all coexisted just fine. Now my setup is Mac, Surface, Windows Phone and I plan on keeping it that way. Sure I also have a Windows computer, but I prefer the Mac for day to day tasks. It really isn't a bother for me to have a "mix and match" ecosystem. Maybe I'm just not picky about that type of thing, but I have no problem with one of my devices being the "odd man out". I just use whatever I like best.

Basically the point I'm making is if you like Android, then stick with it. If you want an iPhone, go for that.

16. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Look in my signature for all my devices.

The only one not listed is my Dell Inspiron desktop. I need a windows pc just for college. It is more or less a toy. I never shut it down, and use it for certain programs and when I have to type up an email that is too difficult on ios devices. I used to have an HTC Sensation on the T-Mobile network up until October of last year. I have wanted an iphone ever since they came out. But my family plan is tied to the carrier. I went out last year and bought a used iPhone 4S once the iphone 5 came out, and I was very unhappy with the edge service, but very happy that my contacts, apps, emails, and other things were conviently synced between all my apple products. I now have an official tmobile iphone 5 and love it. I do miss the 4.3 inch screen of my android phone, but the retina display of the iphone 5 definitely makes up for it.

I think you will appreciate all the iCloud features, as well as iMessage on your phone. 99% of the people I text have an iphone. That way, if I wanna leave my phone in another room, and text and surf from my ipad, I can do that.

Hope this helped.

17. eadiepbb macrumors newbie

I switch between devices all the time and have no issues syncing anything. I just use Google services.[​IMG]

18. ouankou macrumors newbie

ouankou

If I were you, I would wait for a couple of months. Actually that is what I'm doing, holding Nexus 4 and waiting for iPhone 5S. You might try Cyanogenmod Rom for your S3. It is pretty clean and fast, maybe it will solve the problem a little bit.

19. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I also have a ipad and Android phone but would love to go all apple. I just need apple to make a bigger phone and then i will be all apple!

20. flipnap macrumors 6502

you know, i do a LOT of video recording in the field so I'm switching from iphone to a larger unit. i currently have the iphone 4s, the galaxy s4 and the HTC one for comparison testing. I cannot believe with all the horsepower the s4 has that the UI lags and stutters so much. its fresh from the factory with no installs and the performance is really, well, poor. the HTC camera is quicker to respond and the whites on the s4 are dingy compared to the iphone and HTC.

Im not really a fanboy of apple, but im floored at how this "flagship" phone from samsung is outperformed by a year old iPhone. its disheartening because i enjoy the larger screen but the thing feels like a work in progress. sorry to hijack the thread but I'm actually shocked. so many amazing reviews on this s4 and im left scratching my head.

21. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

A lot of people who have experience with phones say just that. I only see praise on YouTube comments for reviews of Apple/HTC/Windows products (go figure). Glad you like the One though. That is one sexy phone and one I wouldn't mind swaying toward if I didn't love my iPhone.

On topic. I would Wait for the next iPhone to come out. Even if performance is poor on your Samsung it will not be as bad as feeling buyers remorse when the new Apple thing comes out.