Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
One thing that I do notice,is that here in the city/metro area (Boston,Cambridge,Newton,etc),Macs are everywhere. You can't go into a coffe shop,internet cafe,wifi spot without seeing one..But yet,once you get past 128/495 to the suburbs,you hardly see them.I realize that it has alot to do with the college kids,but even when the colleges/unis are out,I find the same thing..

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Regarding the Boston/Cambridge thing, a lot of it has to do with the Berklee College of Music, I think. They give each incoming freshman a new Apple laptop...they started doing that in Fall 2003 w/ the last model of the TiBook. For awhile it was the Aluminum Powerbooks and now the MacBook Pro's. You gotta figure with 1,000 new students each fall semester plus additional students each spring, you're getting about 1,500 Apple laptops in the Boston/Cambridge area from Berklee alone.

Not to mention all the others. It's intense here at Berklee though - every room you walk into, there's at least 20 Apple laptops (TiBooks, PBs, and MBPs)...however, a few of us sold our TiBooks for black MacBooks :-D

Aelyrin

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Missoula, Montana
I see quite a few of them around nashville, but i like watching tv and movies and seeing how many i can spot. All the CSI shows have tons and tons. its kinda fun i am a nerd but when im with my g/f i call out powerbook macbook imac when i see them on the screen :p

Ever since i got interested in them about a month ago my wife has had to take the DVR remote away from me.

It's extremely common to be watching a movie, suddenly I pause, rewind, slow mo.... "Is that a macbook pro?" -me

Wife playfully punches and takes remote... :\

Luckily I am entirely comfortable in my nerdiness!

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
Regarding the Boston/Cambridge thing, a lot of it has to do with the Berklee College of Music, I think. They give each incoming freshman a new Apple laptop...they started doing that in Fall 2003 w/ the last model of the TiBook. For awhile it was the Aluminum Powerbooks and now the MacBook Pro's. You gotta figure with 1,000 new students each fall semester plus additional students each spring, you're getting about 1,500 Apple laptops in the Boston/Cambridge area from Berklee alone.

Not to mention all the others. It's intense here at Berklee though - every room you walk into, there's at least 20 Apple laptops (TiBooks, PBs, and MBPs)...however, a few of us sold our TiBooks for black MacBooks :-D

That's a good point.I never realized that Berklee does that.Especially once you get over the bridge to the PRC,you'd think you were in Cupertino..

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
I like the way most people seem to be pulling their statistics out of their ass.
An old cowboy I used to work with often said...'a thousand sheep herders can't be wrong'. As a switcher, I don't doubt him wrong. Every day it seems I talk to people who are looking to switch. I show them some of the things I have done and they really are impressed. Not in what I've done, in that I could actually do them. For one small example, video editing in doze is a huge pain in the ass. ATI capture, for me averages 5 ctr-alt-del to get the program running. ATI is a bit on the extreme side, but anything intensive in doze is a frickin' nightmare, it's not a statistic out someones ass. When I tell people I now spin 30gb movie files like a jpeg and 2000 600kb jpegs as part of my normal business, they simply don't believe me...till they sit in my office and I show them.:D

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Though some people now refuse to buy an apple. They say they really want one but everyone has them now... And they all look the same. They can't have a laptop that "nobody" else has. I think thats a load of crap :-D. I don't care if the one sitting next to me is working on a lappy that looks exactly the same as mine... It's just too much fun working with OSX :D

Pretty ironic, don't you think? "oh I don't want a Mac, everyone has them, I'll just stick to my PC." Is it just me, or is that a bit redundant? :p

PodHead

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Boise, ID
I work on a military base in Japan and all I see in the coffee shop are Mac lappies. Once you venture off into the community you see all the Peecee users. Macs tend to be used by the "older" more professional crowd. The younger kids like to play games, so they stick to peecees.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
My university "highly" reccomends all Journalism students to use Mac's so during my Journalism lectures, while sitting in the front, I'm litterly looking at around 500 macbook pros. I've always wanted to take a picture as it would make a sweet wallpaper.

BII

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
there's a couple of things going on:

mac users are going to notice macs more, a similar phenomom happens to people when they first get a particular model car, they suddenly notice that car everywhere they go. It's just mac on the brain.

Mac users are very likely to congregate, frequent the same areas, etc amongst demographically similar people (students, artists, etc).

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I see a bunch of macs here everywhere. There are some owned by the school that are in my gym, they're at the counters in the university computer store, and many other random places. University students are concerned about functionality as well as style. What other laptop has such a smooth looking bottom? (take it as a pun, or not.)

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Personally, i don't want Macs to become too popular - whenever a company gets too big it tends to drop the ball on quality.

esabourin

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
macs are usually seen in educational areas,,,at my school the computer lab is filled with eMacs and a couple Mac Pros,,and most of our teachers have MacBooks, MBP, or iMacs in their offices,,and then most students are listening to iPods,,so our school is pretty Apple,,,but,,we in a rich community,,,,

EclipX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Belgium
I live in Belgium, Europe, and i don't see mac's that much. Mostly it are notebooks/pc's from HP, Dell, etc.. we are just to Windows based here. But I'm proud to have a Macbook :)

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA

mac users are going to notice macs more, a similar phenomom happens to people when they first get a particular model car, they suddenly notice that car everywhere they go. It's just mac on the brain.

Mac users are very likely to congregate, frequent the same areas, etc amongst demographically similar people (students, artists, etc).

I completely agree with this. I have a VW Bora, and I notice Bora's and Jetta's everywhere!

As for congregating... I think it's "MacDar..." sorta like "GayDar"? :p

PodHead

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Boise, ID

Yeah, that's a interesting theory. I wonder if I would have noticed them if I didn't own a Mac. Probably not.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
I bring my MacBook Pro to school (highschool) every day (laptops are recomended, but not required) and almost everyone says "I wish I had a mac, but my dad works for MS and he wont let me get one."

firsttime

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
Macbook and the internet from anywheres

I just bought a macbook but want to use it anywhere not just at Starbucks (WIFI) 802.11g but anywhere I use my cellphone... is this possible or should I have bought a new PC.... This is my very first MAC so far it works better that any PC I have owned in the past but I may be sorry now...:rolleyes:

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
I bring my MacBook Pro to school (highschool) every day (laptops are recomended, but not required) and almost everyone says "I wish I had a mac, but my dad works for MS and he wont let me get one."

[paranoia] that's m$oft new plan, they gonna hire more an more people and forbid them to use macs, so they can keep their share stable :D [/end paranoia]

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
I just bought a macbook but want to use it anywhere not just at Starbucks (WIFI) 802.11g but anywhere I use my cellphone... is this possible or should I have bought a new PC.... This is my very first MAC so far it works better that any PC I have owned in the past but I may be sorry now...:rolleyes:
it worked fine with my alubook, i use to cennect to my k700i via bluetooth and use it as a modem but its slow and expen$ive!!

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
here at work for a cable/high speed internet company we use to have a stack of beige g3 macs in the back room that never moved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.