Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently added a new "Documentation" page to its website that provides links to user guides, repair manuals, tech specs, software downloads, and more for a variety of products. Some of this information was previously found across separate pages on Apple's website, and it has now been combined in one place for convenient access.

Apple-Support-App-General-Feature.jpg

The page includes categories for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Vision Pro, Apple Watch, Apple TV, AirPods, HomePod, displays like the Studio Display and Pro Display XDR, accessories like the Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard, and software.

Apple-Documentation-Website.jpg

There is also a search tool on the page that provides links to support documents and other relevant information based on the keywords entered.

The new page was earlier spotted by Japanese blog Mac Otakara, and it may be worth bookmarking for reference purposes.

Article Link: Apple Launches All-in-One 'Manuals, Specs, and Downloads' Website

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Nice! Always great to have this stuff handy and consolidated.

Waiting for the first "Apple should be working on [poster's preferred product] instead of wasting their time on this" post. (Bonus points if they shoehorn in some whinging about emojis as well.)

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
A step in the right direction. I think most of this was somehow accessible through searching the support site, but it's good to have it (somewhat) consolidated.

That said, although it appears items within product categories are in reverse chronological order, it still appears as a relatively jumbled mess. For a company with the resources and large historical product portfolio of Apple, I don't understand why they can't at least provide some additional sub-categories; for instance, separating out "MacBook Air" from "MacBook Pro" from "iBook". The Mactracker app and EveryMac.com do a much better job with much less.

Heck, with Apple's resources, they should have software downloads and documentation available stretching back to the original Macintosh, the Lisa, and the Apple I/II/III line.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
It's a good start. They need to put a LOT more into it, like service manuals, tech notes, and software downloads for every machine they ever built. I'd really like a copy of the IIgs service manual and the Lisa service manual, with schematics. Particularly the Lisa schematics, I'd really like to get mine running again someday.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I’ve been a big fan of mactracker myself for a long time. I’m skeptical, maybe unfairly, that apple will give the type of technical, and cost, info about their machines as a third party would.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Thank you for this @Lioness~ !

The official page is useful as Apple books no longer seems to have official manuals for the latest iOS or MacOS.

Um, apparently a bunch of those links point to no longer existing Apple support pages.

So we’re back to square one.

Ok, that is unfortunate.
I guess it becomes difficult when Apple stop supporting their older devices. As usual, it's all Tim's fault 😡

Reactions: decafjava

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Nice! Always great to have this stuff handy and consolidated.

Waiting for the first "Apple should be working on [poster's preferred product] instead of wasting their time on this" post. (Bonus points if they shoehorn in some whinging about emojis as well.)
Why is Apple wasting time on something useful?😤 I want a bigger microfiber cloth--Polishing Cloth 2 Pro Max Ultra.🤩 The rinky dink polishing cloth is too small.😤😤😏

Mac4Brains

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
This sounds sort of "If you can't get to the internet, go to this web site for help"

Or just get an app called MacTraker or use Everymac.com. They are both free and easy.
Perhaps Apple should just buy out one or both and get it over with instead of trying to push them out of business like they normally do.

*Edit* Some of these apps will tell you what they have found instead of the Apple party line. As in a few cases with some Macs that were able to hold more RAM then Apple originally listed as the Max*

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think there’s another story here. The category “Vision” is a pretty strong hint that the cheaper Vision Pro will be called simply Apple Vision (not Apple Vision One, or Vision Air, etc).

That was obvious from Day 1, hence VisionOS.

Apple needed to enter the market with a bang, hence the Pro model first.

Reactions: KeithBN

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
For being the first-party company, I'm pleasantly surprised how far back the entries go. I was able to look up my original iMac (my current profile picture) and despite only having the tech specs for it, the fact that it had a dedicated entry was nice. Continued kudos go out to the third-party websites that others have mentioned here, that are an important repository for the history of computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.