Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Billboard reports that Apple has launched a new section of its iTunes Store called "Music Movies" [iTunes Store], featuring video content with a music focus such as music documentaries, concert films, and movie musicals. Apple is also reportedly seeking to strike deals to bring new movie-themed video content to the iTunes Store before such releases are brought to DVD.
The most visible change to the iTunes service will be a Music Movies landing page dedicated to music films such as concert movies, documentaries and music-focused feature films. Additionally, Apple plans to negotiate exclusive access to new music-themed movies to make them available for home distribution on iTunes before the physical DVD makes its way to retail shelves or rental stores.
Billboard notes that Apple is currently featuring pre-orders for It Might Get Loud [iTunes Store], a forthcoming documentary focusing on guitarists The Edge, Jimmy Page, and Jack White, as well as older content such as John Lennon's Imagine, Prince's Purple Rain, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
The company hopes to increase video sales on iTunes in part by luring music consumers to its library of music-themed movies. While Apple has not released any specific figures, it sells far more music than videos, and hopes to create a strong bridge between its music catalog and its video catalog by focusing on content that appeals to music fans.
The report notes that while DVD sales have experienced a recent slight dip, music-themed DVDs have seen an extraordinary decline in sales, with revenue falling over 50% from 2007 to 2008 and even further since then. Consequently, Apple's push into the promotion of music-themed movies is likely to be well-received by the industry as customers continue to move away from physical media toward downloadable content for their entertainment needs.

Article Link: Apple Launches iTunes Store Initiative for Music-Themed Movies

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Not so sure I see the point of a dedicated section, but okay....

Comment

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

If apple wants to sell more video they need lower prices. A tv show for 3 bucks is too much they need to be 99 cents like songs. You get alot more when you get a song than a tv show because the show has almost no replay value. At most you will watch it twice but you would listen to a song over and over.

Comment

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Not so sure I see the point of a dedicated section, but okay....

Agree, as I think most people will just search for what they are looking for anyway. Becoming too granular with categories becomes a hinderance; I remember the nightmare of some large record shops in the 1990s when you had to guess how the store had categorised the group you were looking for.

I guess as long as we can still search and they allow multiple categories it does no harm though.

Comment

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
... I think most people will just search for what they are looking for anyway. Becoming too granular with categories becomes a hinderance ...

I guess as long as we can still search and they allow multiple categories it does no harm though.
It's a great idea.

Yes, before now you might can search for the ONE concert you're looking for, but with a dedicated section: what a nice surprise when you use the new section and discover that some of your favorite artists had a concert on DVD that you knew nothing about.

Most people who check this out won't even be looking for something specific, so if they buy something, it's a sale that Apple wouldn't have made otherwise.

Also, there's the added bonus of being able to buy EARLY before the DVD even hits the shelves.

Did you Negative Nancies even read the article?

Comment

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
not in the uk :mad:

I was hoping for that. But then legal stuff and copyrights issue over this side of Atlantic wont help UK Store to have it anytime soon. The same like it was with movies.
I hope I am wrong tho.

Comment

halhiker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
Package Deal

What they should do is bundle the movie, the soundtrack and some extras into one package.

Comment

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
What they should do is bundle the movie, the soundtrack and some extras into one package.
That would be pretty cool, I could see myself buying a bundle of some of my fav artists

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
not in the uk :mad:

Not in NZ either. I'm grateful that Apple has released iTunes in so many countries (I don't think any other company has) but it should really use that "foot in the door" to get the other services global before adding even more US-only ones.

Comment

NT1440

Contributor
May 18, 2008
Better organization for live concert DVD's and such, yes please! :)

Comment

MacKiddyWiddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Hmm i dont see the point but it doesnt affect me so hey
signature_SmileyFace.jpg
why did i even post?

Comment

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
This is great! These are the only movies I buy as you can watch them again, and I was getting tired of having to buy them on DVDs. I am off to the store to see what I can pick up now!

Comment

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
"The Song Remains The Same"

Nothing more needs to be said.

Comment

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Speaking of music-themed movies, I suggest everyone go see Michael Jackson's "This is it"

Saw it today. Amazing! You will be blown away! :eek:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.