Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began accepting registrations for Apple Camp, a summer program for children that's held in Apple retail locations. Apple is hosting limited sessions in Apple Stores this year, a departure from last year when Apple Camp transitioned to an in-home experience.

apple-camp.jpg

Apple Camp is open to children aged 8 to 12, but sessions are highly limited and generally only available in major cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York.

Right now, Apple is offering one session on the Clips app on iPad, which the company says will allow children to "make movie magic" with short videos. Signups are available on the Apple Camp section of the Today at Apple website.

Children who are not in an area where an Apple Camp session is being held can access a new at-home activity guide that's available to download. It offers a full calendar of activities like making a photo album of textures, creating a storybook starring toys, making a tourist map, making songs in GarageBand, and more.

Article Link: Apple Launches Limited In-Person Apple Camp Sessions for Kids

giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2020
Aus
This artwork is truly terrifying. Utterly horrific. Man’s contempt of dignity and utter debasement distilled into a single image.

We should feel shame but that ability was brutalized out of us years ago. This is what we now deserve. This is the future we chose. This what we get for allowing degenerates to dictate culture.

Woe, woe to us.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Anyone ever attended one of these camps?
How much of it is actual instruction vs. sales pitch (aka: actually teaching vs. trying to convince my kids that their 1-yo iPads are obsolete)?

Either way, I signed my kids up. Will find out next week.

Reactions: Salaryman Ryan

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Even if you're joking, I really do hate that style of art that it seems many companies are using nowadays. It's creepy and soulless. I don't understand the focus on deformed monster-humans versus just using some kind of relatable gender neutral portrayal instead.
This artwork is truly terrifying. Utterly horrific. Man’s contempt of dignity and utter debasement distilled into a single image.

We should feel shame but that ability was brutalized out of us years ago. This is what we now deserve. This is the future we chose. This what we get for allowing degenerates to dictate culture.

Woe, woe to us.

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
Even if you're joking, I really do hate that style of art that it seems many companies are using nowadays. It's creepy and soulless. I don't understand the focus on deformed monster-humans versus just using some kind of relatable gender neutral portrayal instead.
The artwork style is typically referred to online as Globohomo Art (Global Homogenization). The reason the artwork is so polarising and distasteful is because it is indeed political in nature, and it’s focus is to blur the lines of gender and form in humans. It’s a mix-n-match of various human features, colours, genders, attributes that are blended enough to still be considered human but also to confuse the viewer into never establishing a baseline ‘normal’ for what a human should look like. It is considered by many to be a form of propaganda.

Exhibit a;
A127EA4A-A047-442B-BE22-877FCA3ED468.jpeg

Exhibit b;
82692DAB-49B7-45AF-A009-C1094794635B.jpeg

Last edited:

rubenrp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
How much of it is actual instruction vs. sales pitch (aka: actually teaching vs. trying to convince my kids that their 1-yo iPads are obsolete)?

I’ve participated in several of the adult sessions, and also witnessed bits of the kids’ sessions from the sidelines, and have never seen anything that would qualify as “buy now!” product pushing. If anything, the focus has always been on “make what you got do things you didn’t think it could.”

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I’ve participated in several of the adult sessions, and also witnessed bits of the kids’ sessions from the sidelines, and have never seen anything that would qualify as “buy now!” product pushing. If anything, the focus has always been on “make what you got do things you didn’t think it could.”
Ah good to hear. And makes sense - one of the aspect I enjoy about the Apple Store experience is they’re the least sales-y crew in retail. Refreshing.
I’m looking forward to checking it out for myself.
Cheers.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto

My daughter attended in 2018 and 2019 (at ages 8 & 9). She quite enjoyed the experience, and from everything I could see (and everything she told me), they didn't specifically talk about products at all, beyond showing kids how to use them. Granted, she came back from the first one wishing she had an Apple Pencil for her iPad (she didn't originally have a model that supported the Pencil), but that's to be expected just by letting her play with one for three days ?

The other thing is that these are taught by Apple Creatives, and not the normal salespeople. While they're naturally going to be very enthusiastic about Apple products, it's not their job to push the products.

damphoose

macrumors regular
May 12, 2014
The artwork style is typically referred to online as Globohomo Art (Global Homogenization). The reason the artwork is so polarising and distasteful is because it is indeed political in nature, and it’s focus is to blur the lines of gender and form in humans. It’s a mix-n-match of various human features, colours, genders, attributes that are blended enough to still be considered human but also to confuse the viewer into never establishing a baseline ‘normal’ for what a human should look like. It is considered by many to be a form of propaganda.

Exhibit a;
View attachment 1800750
Exhibit b;
View attachment 1800751
I never heard this term before. Googled it…wish I didn’t. Seems to be an obession of people who like to use racial slurs. It’s the lastest thing coming to get our kids and they are going to stop it by an avalanche of angry post.

Reactions: Salaryman Ryan

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Probably not a good idea to have kid together on-site that are all unvaccinated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.