Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched the Magic Keyboard Folio, an all-new accessory for the 10th-generation iPad that features a kickstand, trackpad, keyboard with 1mm of travel, and a function key row.

Apple-iPad-10th-gen-Magic-Keyboard-Folio-Apple-Pencil-221018.jpg

The Magic Keyboard Folio brings the full-size keys, travel, and responsive feel of the Magic Keyboard to the entry-level iPad for the first time. The function row comes to an Apple iPad keyboard for the first time, providing easy access to shortcuts and making everyday tasks like adjusting volume or display brightness easier. The accessory also features a two-piece design, allowing users to magnetically detatch the keyboard, but continue to use the kickstand and keep the back of the iPad protected.

The Magic Keyboard Folio is exclusively compatible with the 10th-generation iPad since it is the only iPad model to feature a Smart Connector along the bottom edge. The new Magic Keyboard Folio designed for the new iPad is available for $249 and comes in White only. A new Smart Folio designed for the 10th-generation iPad is available for $79 in White, Sky, Watermelon, and Lemonade.

Article Link: Apple Launches Magic Keyboard Folio for 10th-Gen iPad With Two-Piece Design, Kickstand, and Function Row

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Seriously, Apple?

Giving the basic iPad a landscape camera and function like rows is basically flagging customers to avoid the new iPad Pro, since it’s clearly going to inherit those QoL changes soon.
I wouldn’t hold your breath for that, considering the Pros also underwent a mild ‘refresh’ today. Might be looking at another year off.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2016
now I’m not one of those people who gets upset when Apple diversifies lineups.
Contrary to what most people believe, Steve Jobs did the exact same thing all the time.
He did it with the Mac, he did it with the iPod, if he lived long enough, he most certainly would’ve done it with the iPhone and the iPad as well.
Having different options at different price points is a great idea to help increase market share, and to get more people into the ecosystem.
But… my god, this is one of the first times I have to say, what is going on with this overly complicated lineup?
Five different iPads in the lineup, three of which (the 10, the Air and the 11 inch Pro) are so similar that putting them side-by-side most people wouldn’t be able to tell a difference, two pencils (one of which needs an adapter to be useful), two different keyboards (one of which is only compatible with one model)… what is going on?
The last time Apple had a line up this complicated was like… Maybe the MacBooks in the late 2000s? When there was an aluminum 13 inch MacBook, a plastic 13 inch MacBook, a 13 inch MacBook Air, and a 13 inch MacBook Pro all which were basically the same when it came to specifications?
That’s the latest example I can think of.
This lineup needs a rethink or a reboot or something because… wow it’s a mess

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Lol and the ungodly expensive Pro gets another year of the same Magic Keyboard. Wtf Apple….
exactly my thoughts! I'm surprised they didnt announce this for the Pro's or just made it compatible with the existing keyboard pairings.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
This is a really lazy update by Apple for their top of the line iPad. They should have kept the 2021 version until the redesign was ready. No one was clamoring for more speed (need a better OS and dont get me started on how awful stage manager is) in the current Pros.

Once you move the 2nd cheapest iPad in the lineup to landscape camera and give them a better keyboard (wtf) we all know what's coming on the next generation Pro's - probably a year or more out though.

Oh well, easy decision for me to keep my 2021 12.9" iPad Pro.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Apple's iPad product team has gone off their rocker...$250 accessory for a $400 "budget" tablet.

If this was a new iPad Pro accessory, it would be eaten up and praised, and have caused people to upgrade to the 2x base price tablet at $799...but instead the pro users get the shaft.

Literally nothing in this current iPad Pro lineup makes sense for anyone. Existing iPad Pro users have zero reason to upgrade, even from a 2018 A12X iPad, now 4 years old. New iPad users now have incredibly stupid choices to make - IE do I want the one where I can't charge the apple pencil, or the $200 more expensive Air which also has a more expensive, less flexible keyboard but better pencil...Or do I buy just buy the cheap one from last year?

aParkerMusic

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2021
I wouldn’t hold your breath for that, considering the Pros also underwent a mild ‘refresh’ today. Might be looking at another year off.
I took it as meaning just that, next year’s upgrade will probably include these sorts of quality of life updates. That they didn’t do it this year is disappointing.

I’ll say this though, I like the style of the Magic Keyboard more than this new Magic Keyboard Folio because it‘s easier to use on your lap, etc. This new style seems like it would be unstable. And with the floating display design of the Magic Keyboard, there really isn’t room for a function row. Maybe they can figure that out somehow.

It also looks like maybe the trackpad on this new one is bigger than the one on my Magic Keyboard. Again, I assume this is due to the fact that the screen is further back on the new keyboard product.

xxFoxtail

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Seriously, Apple?

Giving the basic iPad a landscape camera and function like rows is basically flagging customers to avoid the new iPad Pro, since it’s clearly going to inherit those QoL changes soon.
While I agree, it’ll unfortunately probably be another 18 months before a refresh. Makes me wonder what happened to those rumors with the MagSafe charging and 4-pin Smart Connector. Was there supposed to be a redesign this year with a landscape camera, but it had to be scrapped?

AppleFan1179

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
Seriously, Apple?

I posted this in another iPad Pro thread, it's no less valid in this one...

I don't understand why the worst iPad got the best keyboard, but keeps the bad Apple Pencil?

The new pros are a speed bump, and a slight screen/usability improvement?

This is just such a jumbled product lineup.

It's clear the Air basically needs to go, as it's in a middle ground that I don't think needs to exist.

Anyone who cares about power is going to go with a Pro for the extra couple hundred bucks.

Anyone who just wants an iPad for couch surfing and light emailing will just get the cheapest one available.

I just don't understand why anyone buys an iPad Pro right now unless they absolutely have to.

It's clear that Apple knows what people want in a keyboard, and I'd buy that keyboard for my iPad Pro RIGHT NOW if it was available. I hate that I can't lay my iPad down flat. HATE. I love the function keys and the larger trackpad. It's a fantastic design. And yet....only available for the base iPad. Seems dumb.

The camera shift to side of the iPad for use in landscape mode makes perfect sense and is overdue. It makes even MORE sense for the iPad Pro with Face ID that is covered by my thumb 85% of the time when I pick it up. Why in the hell wouldn't they do this for the new Pro? Seems dumb.

So, yeah, don't buy this new iPad Pro unless you absolutely 100% need NEED NEED an iPad Pro. Apple obviously knows what users want, and it's pretty clear where the design direction is going. It stands to reason the next iPad Pro should be a huge improvement. This one is a huge mistake, and should be boycotted out of principle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.