Apple Launches New 2018 Pride Band for Apple Watch, Available to Buy Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the launch of a Pride Band for Apple Watch last summer, Apple today has revealed an all-new Pride Band for Apple Watch, which will be available to purchase today on Apple.com. The band has the colorful hues of the rainbow, with white stripes between each color.

[​IMG]

In addition, users will be able to set a new Pride Apple Watch face on their devices at the end of the keynote.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 2018 Pride Band for Apple Watch, Available to Buy Today

2. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Still no bloody API for making your own faces though! FFS Apple!

3. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

4. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Do we have the patience to deal with the incoming "what about straight pride bands?!" comments?

5. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Who worries about that stuff?I was thinking a very expensive presentation to release a watch band today and nothing else.

6. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Didn't they already make a rainbow band?
    Was it limited edition or something?

7. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

I guess you failed to see the rest of the keynote.

8. MarkB786, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018

MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

So anyone with pride in anything will buy this band?
    Golly. What a money making concept. Or could I be mistaken, and Apple is exhibiting bias?

9. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

The band and face continuity are very nice. Give me 10 of them :D

10. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

It's the sign of a rotting Apple when they have to resort to colorful bands to make a splash.

11. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

What else is available today again?

12. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Yes
    Yes, please do. I need for AAPL to keep going up, and all the fan boys are my ticket to a life of financial ease. All without me buying any new Apple products!

13. Binarymix macrumors 65816

I bought it, but it would had made more sense to be black with the rainbow stripes..... or have had both. I hate that Apple makes black watch cases but minimal amount of bands with black hardware.

14. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

I genuinely don't understand stuff like this. There aren't Black pride bands, or Asian pride bands, or Woman pride bands, or anything like that. What's the deal with this community wanting to be so external and expressive about their identity? It's very odd, and I really don't get it. Who cares?

15. triton100, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018

triton100 macrumors 6502

There is Martin Luther’s king day and black history month that Apple celebrates etc.

16. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

I think I may buy one even though I don't own an Apple watch just so I can say that I bought every piece of new hardware Apple announced at today's Keynote. :D

17. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Probably because they are one of the few remaining groups of persecuted people of the modern age..like with death in some countries?

18. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

I'm all for pride watch faces and bands, but it does seem a little self-serving for the CEO. Why not release new watch faces for everyone?

With our Apple watches, we spend the most amount of time looking at the face. This being said, why are watch face options so lacking? Why not open it up to devs to create and sell watch faces on the App Store if you're not going to do it yourself?

Equality means treating everyone equally. Open it up so everyone can buy or make a nice watch face. This way pride wearers get one, Star Trek lovers get one, gamers get one etc etc.

19. Martinpa macrumors member

Just a guess, but it might have to do with the fact that individuals in the groups you listed can visually be discerned as being part of that group. LGBT+ people are not part of a visual minority. There’s also the fact that the LGBT+ Community has historically been repressed and forced to deny who they are (which wasn’t even an option for members of those other groups wou mentioned, because you can visually identify them). There’s a different history for each group, different trauma, differents things and experiences they have/had to deal with; each group, then, has different ways to advance their cause or to celebrate their past, their achievements and their future.

That being said, if they made bands that catered to other minorities, I don’t think it’d be an issue, same as this.

20. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Apparently you care, which is exactly why I wear my rainbow accessories.

21. jarman92 macrumors 6502

Just to confuse small-minded people I guess ;)

Orrrrrrr it probably has something to do with the fact that the vast majority of LGBT people spend stressful years/decades hiding and suppressing who they are, so when they finally do come out they can celebrate and be gay and wear a damn colored watch band if they want.

22. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Developer betas of iOS, tvOS, macOS, and watchOS -- each of which include some very significant changes.

No one was expecting new/refreshed hardware at this software-focused event.

23. pika2000 macrumors 601

I know right? The rest of the keynote were just jumbo jumbo, so I’m going to complain the only thing I understand, and for you it’s watch bands. :shrug:

24. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

As other people have explained, it’s because we as a community have been told for a veerrrry long time that we should be ashamed of ourselves, and should hide away for the sake of “public decency”. The whole point of the Pride movement is to say that we’re not ashamed of who we are, and we won’t hide any longer.

Except it’s not that easy, even now. I “came out” almost 20 years ago, but I still come into contact with people who don’t realise I’m gay, and say incredibly offensive things *right in front of my damn face* about gay people, without even realising they’re describing me.

And when that happens I have a choice. Confront them about it, and (apparently) “make a big deal” about my sexuality, and face possible escalation of their homophobia. Or let it slide, scurry back into the closet for a while, pretend I didn’t hear anything. I did that once at the start of a new job, and spent the next couple years hiding my sexuality from people at work, so as not to cause a scene, to avoid making things complicated.

And I hated myself for doing that, for letting fear and hesitation win and retreating back to the safety zone of being “normal”. So the reason I, personally, bought last year’s Pride band (and will be buying this year’s too), and enjoy wearing it from time to time, is because it reminds me to not be afraid or ashamed of who I am. It’s a colourful, bright, stripey mark that stops me from shuffling back into the shadows. It’s a symbol of the big extended family I belong to, that I stand with, together, refusing to shut up and go away. And that’s a big deal for us.

25. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

To my knowledge those other groups do not have flags, thus it would be difficult to create watch bands to reflect them. Why don’t you ask those groups why they don’t have flags rather than asking why lgbt do?