Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has created a new "Apple Music Fashion" channel available to Apple Music subscribers, which features three new Apple Music playlists curated by fashion designer Alexander Wang, among other curated selections from Vogue, Burberry, and more.

As shared by Vogue, Wang's playlists, entitled Chill, Hype, and Vibe, feature a mix of R&B slow jams to hardcore rap to "dance-floor ready tracks." Each playlist includes between 15 and 20 songs.

applemusicfashion-800x581.jpg
"Chill is my go-to playlist when I get home, when I need to decompress, or when I'm having a night in," Wang told Vogue.com of a playlist that includes Rihanna, Drake, and Juicy J. [...]

"Hype--those songs are mostly derived from playlists that I've played in a party bus or en route to a festival or going out. They are songs that kick up the energy," he says of a grouping that features Diplo, M.I.A., and Lil Jon. "Vibe is more a playlist that's in between, with songs that have high energy and also are great classics. It's good for having people over, drinks; it's kind of pregame music." There you'll find A$AP Rocky, Rich Homie Quan, and Meek Mill.
Wang plans to update the playlists throughout the year with new content so his selections are always up to date. The launch of his playlists are accompanied by a new Apple Music video.

New playlists, compliments of @AlexanderWangNY.CHILL. HYPE. VIBE.https://t.co/dRMOXuAw0H#AppleMusicFashionhttps://t.co/OS1acuC8cW - Apple Music (@AppleMusic) June 6, 2016

Wang's playlists and the Apple Music Fashion channel can be accessed by all Apple Music subscribers on iOS devices, Macs, and Android devices through this link.

Article Link: Apple Launches New Apple Music Fashion Channel Featuring Content Curated by Alexander Wang

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Oh boy. MacRumors commenteers won't let this one pass. Only way it would annoy people more was if it included watch bands.

Watch bands are just (literally) band-aiding a poor product.

I don't see anything to complain about here, though I'm sure MR readers will find a way! :p

PS love that 80s fashion. 80s is very "hip" with the kids these days. They weren't scarred by having to live through it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't see anything to complain about here, though I'm sure MR readers will find a way! :p

In and of itself, sure. So some guy I've never heard of has some playlists he likes. Ok, cool.

The "issue," if you want to see an issue here, is that this feeds the narrative that Apple increasingly sees itself as a cross-over fashion/tech company rather than a pure tech company, which is what it used to be and what many long-time devotees wish it still was.

Does having fashion designers share playlists mean apple can't also design cutting edge technology? No, of course not. And if they in fact were still regularly coming out with cutting edge products, probably nobody would care whose playlists they promoted.

But the feeling - and I don't whole disagree - among the disaffected macrumors faithful, is that their products haven't been all that cutting edge lately. Which gives rise to a sense - rightly or wrongly - that maybe part of the reason is that Apple is targeting a different audience than they used to.

I dunno. I don't care about the playlists one way or another. I sure would like to see them try to make the best damn computers in the world again though.

justmewhoelse

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2015
Wow - out of all the articles and headlines about Apple this - Apple that - this headline and article just might say to me that Apple truly has lost it's way. This and Siri…an embarrassment Apple should hide it's head about.

June 13th Apple better announce some computer that is really a self driving car that can land on Mars, all via an updated Siri. And NOT a music playlist curated by some unheard of fashion whatever on unusable Apple Music.

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
I was perplexed about this at first. But given how important music is for fashion shows and videos, makes perfect sense. Several friends and family members -- as well as First Lady Michelle Obama -- love Alexander Wang, as does tons of (wannabe) fashionistas.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
In and of itself, sure. So some guy I've never heard of has some playlists he likes. Ok, cool.

The "issue," if you want to see an issue here, is that this feeds the narrative that Apple increasingly sees itself as a cross-over fashion/tech company rather than a pure tech company, which is what it used to be and what many long-time devotees wish it still was.

Does having fashion designers share playlists mean apple can't also design cutting edge technology? No, of course not. And if they in fact were still regularly coming out with cutting edge products, probably nobody would care whose playlists they promoted.

But the feeling - and I don't whole disagree - among the disaffected macrumors faithful, is that their products haven't been all that cutting edge lately. Which gives rise to a sense - rightly or wrongly - that maybe part of the reason is that Apple is targeting a different audience than they used to.

I dunno. I don't care about the playlists one way or another. I sure would like to see them try to make the best damn computers in the world again though.

That narrative comes from placing Apple's past so high on a pedestal that everything it does today is "a disappointment"

Examples:

iPhone 5C. the disappointment that outsold flagship models of other manufactures.

Apple Watch. the disappointment that has so surpassed its rivals (WHO HAD MORE THAN A YEAR LEAD) in sales..... Tech media can only compare it to fitness trackers who sell in the same numbers.

If you all would take off the rose tinted glasses. You would see that Apple really never wowed us EVERY single year. Even during the SJ years.

Last edited:

syncopy

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
It would be wise for you all to figuratively look at Apple and Apple Music as two separate companies.

Alexander Wang is considered to be one of the most influential and talented young designers in the fashion industry, and he has a huge following within the rap, hip-hop, and pop communities, carrying with him Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Drake, Beyonce, Rihanna, Jay-Z, Taylor Swift etc. These are the people that have the largest and most dedicated fan bases, all of which stream music more so than anyone else. These are the people that influence friends and family members to sign up, and these are the people that will ultimately increase profit.

Apple Music's future depends on this demographic, and Apple is right to position themselves with the most influential tastemakers and brand figureheads that impact culture. Therefore, many of you appear put-off or alienated by Apple Music's branding, but as I've stated, these ad campaigns aren't for people who regularly comment on tech blogs. Just know that it's working.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
A fellow Sweatshop exploiter. Apple is damn good at making connections.

Asianpork

macrumors member
May 12, 2016
Cool idea, too bad they used an egomaniacal designer like Alexander Wang. Not the nicest guy or even a decent one.

How do I know? I work in the fashion industry. Will someone still doubt me? Sure, but that's what the Internet is for.

Alexander Wang is a real life embodiment of a Zoolander character - The types that take fashion way too seriously. It's great to have passion for your job, but his ilk turn fashion into some life philosophy. His employees have either drank the koolaid or are supremely miserable.

He's not the only one. This industry attracts sociopaths.

Reactions: robeddie

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Cool idea, too bad they used an egomaniacal designer like Alexander Wang. Not the nicest guy or even a decent one.

How do I know? I work in the fashion industry. Will someone still doubt me? Sure, but that's what the Internet is for.

Alexander Wang is a real life embodiment of a Zoolander character - The types that take fashion way too seriously. It's great to have passion for your job, but his ilk turn fashion into some life philosophy. His employees have either drank the koolaid or are supremely miserable.

He's not the only one. This industry attracts sociopaths.

Not a big surprise. Its a business that lives off fleeting superficial tastes. Shame that these kinds of people obtain such fame and fortune. But alas, thats how the modern world works.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.