Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a new YouTube channel that's dedicated to its TV app, offering up trailers, behind the scenes commentary, interviews, show clips, and more.

Apple appears to have debuted the new channel, which was noticed this morning by MacStories, about a month ago. The channel seems to have launched when Apple announced plans for a revamped Apple TV app and a new Apple TV+ streaming service.

appletvyoutubechannel-800x511.jpg

Quite a few videos have been uploaded, many of which are clearly labeled with titles like "Official Trailer," Interview," or "Clip."

Trailers for many popular upcoming movies are included, such as "The Lion King," "The Secret Life Of Pets 2," and "The Joker," along with clips and interviews from "Game of Thrones," "Veep," and more.

The channel features trailers for Carpool Karaoke: The Series, which suggests this is where Apple will share trailers for its original TV shows and movies as the Apple TV+ service's fall launch approaches.

Apple's updated TV app is already available to developers and public beta testers who have installed iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3, and it will be available to everyone when those operating system updates launch.

It appears that the Apple TV channel will be used in conjunction with the revamped TV app to promote television content that's available to watch through the TV app.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 'Apple TV' YouTube Channel

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
This **** is wild. This is like launching a website talking about the history of phones before launching the iPhone.

Reactions: 0958400

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Great idea. There aren’t enough channels that are streamlined, just showing trailers and so on. I hope that they keep it clean and on the point.

Reactions: martyjmclean

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
So confused.

You're not alone. I really don't understand what Apple is trying to achieve with the TV app and TV+, along with whatever else they've shoved in there. Seems like a hot mess.

I miss the "Videos" app, where I could play the videos I synced or downloaded onto my iPhone/iPad, and didn't have to wade through all of this confusing convoluted crap.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
All your TV. All in one app. Hosted on YouTube. :confused:
This is no different than when other services have a Twitter account. This is a just a place to host promotional information. Frankly having it on YouTube makes it easier for other sites to embed/share the content. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu have Youtube accounts for the same reason.
Besides, why not host this on YouTube’s dime.

Reactions: martyjmclean

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
It may as well be on Youtube - they'll get more subscribers.

Apple can even have a 'cringe' playlist that showcases Siri totally misunderstanding anything you say, videos about the tragic MacBook keyboard, and the ridiculous amount of time it's taken them to update the MacPro.

I'd watch that.

Reactions: Lordforex

Intellectua1

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington
Wait... Apple is using YouTube to basically advertise for a YouTube TV competitor.
That takes balls...
Not really, Google doesn't care about Apple or anyone advertising their service on YouTube. It brings more traffic to YouTube which means more ad revenue, which is what Google really cares about. Also Google never really seems that competitive with anything they do, for them it seems like they have a "it either works out or it doesn't and we scrap it mentality" which is terrible but seems to work for them.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You're not alone. I really don't understand what Apple is trying to achieve with the TV app and TV+, along with whatever else they've shoved in there. Seems like a hot mess.

I miss the "Videos" app, where I could play the videos I synced or downloaded onto my iPhone/iPad, and didn't have to wade through all of this confusing convoluted crap.
Use Infuse. Way better than the TV app.
[doublepost=1556049958][/doublepost]
I just want my old iPod and Videos apps back. It used to be so easy to navigate and search and now I am bombarded by subscribe to this ads. I don't want Apple Music. I have enough music. Stop trying to sell me things.
Use Infuse for video playback. Perfect if you just want video you synced to your device.

Reactions: aylk

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
Smug response to this: "I wonder if any of their videos are in 4k..."

Really, though, can we please just settle the stupid format dispute and give us 4k YouTube on Apple TV? So lame.

Reactions: nol2001 and aylk

CrapShack

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2018
DC

Apple has launched a new YouTube channel that's dedicated to its TV app, offering up trailers, behind the scenes commentary, interviews, show clips, and more.

Apple appears to have debuted the new channel, which was noticed this morning by MacStories, about a month ago. The channel seems to have launched when Apple announced plans for a revamped Apple TV app and a new Apple TV+ streaming service.

appletvyoutubechannel-800x511.jpg

Quite a few videos have been uploaded, many of which are clearly labeled with titles like "Official Trailer," Interview," or "Clip."

Trailers for many popular upcoming movies are included, such as "The Lion King," "The Secret Life Of Pets 2," and "The Joker," along with clips and interviews from "Game of Thrones," "Veep," and more.

The channel features trailers for Carpool Karaoke: The Series, which suggests this is where Apple will share trailers for its original TV shows and movies as the Apple TV+ service's fall launch approaches.

Apple's updated TV app is already available to developers and public beta testers who have installed iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3, and it will be available to everyone when those operating system updates launch.

It appears that the Apple TV channel will be used in conjunction with the revamped TV app to promote television content that's available to watch through the TV app.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 'Apple TV' YouTube Channel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.