Apple Launches New 'Shot on iPhone' Campaign in Partnership With NHL

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is partnering up with the National Hockey League for its latest "Shot on iPhone" campaign, which has seen billboards featuring hockey players put up at various hockey arenas in the U.S. and Canada.

As noted by Adweek, the billboards started going up this week and feature eight NHL teams: Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, St. Louis Blues, Edmonton Oilers, Carolina Hurricanes, Arizona Coyotes, Ottawa Senators, and Philadelphia Flyers.

Each billboard features a candid photo of an NHL player captured on iPhone by a teammate.

Additional NHL Shot on iPhone images will be popping up on social media. On Instagram Stories, for example, Apple will offer a "day-in-the-life" look at NHL players' routines and pre-game prep.

Apple's "Shot on iPhone" partnership with the NHL comes just after the NHL promoted a new iPad Pro app that's designed to offer coaches real-time individual and team statistics like face-offs, time on ice, shot attempts, shootout success rates, and more.

Last year, Apple also did a "Selfies on iPhone X" campaign that featured Tampa Bay Lightning captain Steven Stamkos.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 'Shot on iPhone' Campaign in Partnership With NHL

motm95

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I've been enjoying many Canes games at the PNC Arena (first photo) this year. Nice shot of Petr Mrazek.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Photos of people posing or a closeup of someone's back while seated are all good but the iPhone is not capable of any real sports photography, however misleading this may be. You'll still need a real SLR and the right lens for that.

Cosmosent

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
The Action on the Ice is a natural for Burst Photography, NO ?

But AAPL doesn't have a credible OR viable Burst mode feature.

So, does this mean AAPL has backed themselves into a Corner ??? ... AND WILL FINALLY need to recommend / promote "at least one" Burst Photo Camera App ???

NOT gonna hold my breath that AAPL's Upper Mgmt finally gets wise !

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Photos of people posing or a closeup of someone's back while seated are all good but the iPhone is not capable of any real sports photography, however misleading this may be. You'll still need a real SLR and the right lens for that.
Last year Apple did a “selfies on iPhone X” campaign, this year they’re reportedly doing player shots by teammates. The article mentions shots of players’ daily routines and pre-game prep. How did you morph that into Apple misleading people into believing the iPhone is capable of “real sports photography”? Do you really think Apple is trying to trick customers into buying iPhones for sports photography?

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Bad photographers worry about their camera.
Good photographers worry about their lenses.
Great photographers worry about their lighting.

This "iPhone takes great photos" nonsense needs to end. Framing, lighting, proportions etc is what matters the most. Smartphone cameras are commodity items nowadays.

Reactions: ericgtr12

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Bad photographers worry about their camera.
Good photographers worry about their lenses.
Great photographers worry about their lighting.

This "iPhone takes great photos" nonsense needs to end. Framing, lighting, proportions etc is what matters the most. Smartphone cameras are commodity items nowadays.
The iPhone is indeed capable of taking great photos. Not sure why that’s so upsetting to you.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Last year Apple did a “selfies on iPhone X” campaign, this year they’re reportedly doing player shots by teammates. The article mentions shots of players’ daily routines and pre-game prep. How did you morph that into Apple misleading people into believing the iPhone is capable of “real sports photography”? Do you really think Apple is trying to trick customers into buying iPhones for sports photography?
Looking at the photos without any context does indeed seem to imply it. There is no context here, just large images.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Irvine, CA
Running on the same fumes they choked out of their amazing internal "creative" division. Many of these pictures are anything but special.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
The iPhone has become this decade's Rebel. The Rebel was a real DSLR, but I'm sure you can remember what its low price point and somewhat feature rich hardware allowed a whole slew of people to get into the hobby and never improve.

Reactions: smirking

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Looking at the photos without any context does indeed seem to imply it. There is no context here, just large images.
Just like a sport itself :)
fame and millions in the bank for running and/ or skatting around.
These photos are uneventful, which is accurate to the current state of sport.
Now, let the grilling, from the sports fans, begin.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericgtr12

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
On the contrary, I think the word you should have used was "ideal" instead of "capable."

Under the right conditions and lighting, I'd say an iPhone would actually be quite capable... just not ideal by a longshot.

My phone's camera has now mostly surpassed some of the DSLR that I was very happy to shoot with in the past, but there's one area where it hasn't even come close and isn't likely to anytime soon. The form factor of a smartphone is just rotten for a style of shooting that requires quick adjustments and fast reactions.
[doublepost=1551360927][/doublepost]
This campaign has really jumped the Sharks.
I was a bit surprised about that too. Apple HQ and the Sharks are only a 10 minute hop down the road.
[doublepost=1551361018][/doublepost]
View attachment 823809 I’m resubmitting my beer, keys, sunglasses pic
What a boring photo! Let's see a photo of your credit cards! ;)

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
While I haven't been at ice level, I have gotten some pretty clear action shots at the last Monster Jam event that I attended.
The Action on the Ice is a natural for Burst Photography, NO ?

But AAPL doesn't have a credible OR viable Burst mode feature.

So, does this mean AAPL has backed themselves into a Corner ??? ... AND WILL FINALLY need to recommend / promote "at least one" Burst Photo Camera App ???

NOT gonna hold my breath that AAPL's Upper Mgmt finally gets wise !
...You do know that you can hold down the shutter button for bursts, right?
[doublepost=1551361736][/doublepost]
On the contrary, I think the word you should have used was "ideal" instead of "capable."

Under the right conditions and lighting, I'd say an iPhone would actually be quite capable... just not ideal by a longshot.

My phone's camera has now mostly surpassed some of the DSLR that I was very happy to shoot with in the past, but there's one area where it hasn't even come close and isn't likely to anytime soon. The form factor of a smartphone is just rotten for a style of shooting that requires quick adjustments and fast reactions.
I think the only way that happens is by building a mirrorless/SLR body that takes a phone as it's review screen and storage. And at that point you aren't shooting on the phone anymore, lol. An EyeFi SD card would be cheaper, if the camera doesn't already have the capability of instant transfer.