Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Time for WeChat to charge Apple 30% of all purchases made on the AppStore via WeChat.
Was that condition known when going in?Or are you advocating bait and switch? Sure Apple will pay it if that’s what the condition was going in.

It’s not like WeChat will demand that apple allow sideloading of its goods.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Below is the exact quote I'm referring to. You're arguing about "status symbol". We're discussing "symbol of weath". They're different to me.

To Chinese people, the iPhone is NOT a symbol of wealth. Anyone can buy an iPhone. Things like luxury cars or luxury houses are considered symbols of wealth.
Then we should agree to disagree. Here the standard salary is about 5000rmb. An iPhone 14 costs more than one monthly pay. So, for me that's expensive enough to be considered a symbol of wealth.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Then we should agree to disagree. Here the standard salary is about 5000rmb. An iPhone 14 costs more than one monthly pay. So, for me that's expensive enough to be considered a symbol of wealth.
Apple is up to 20% of the market in China. If 20% own it, it's not a symbol of wealth.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shirasaki

ybbbbbbb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2021
乌鲁木齐
Ho
IMG_E8148807F834-1.jpeg

ybbbbbbb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2021
乌鲁木齐
In the early stage of the development of smartphones, people may think so, but now they won't. Mobile phones are just a tool, especially in China, where there are so many smartphone brands, everyone has a lot of choices.

ybbbbbbb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2021
乌鲁木齐
One feels compelled almost to say bloated.
The amount of things the app can do is so wild that the app must be updated three times a day and be a few gigabytes?
It would almost seem healthier that they made their own OS at this point, but then again - then Chinese people can't put it on their precious symbol of wealth - The iPhone
Tencent doesn't want to make an app on iOS. He has a heart to be an operating system.
IMG_0185.jpeg

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

Just wondering... do you know any actual wealthy Chinese people?

Reactions: 1284814

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2021
HOH here we go , All the anti Chinese sentiments ( I got no horse in that fight). A simple thing to remember is corporations have no conscience. And Disney, pixar movies ideals are not what makes the world go round and round.
it’s all about the money.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
HOH here we go , All the anti Chinese sentiments ( I got no horse in that fight). A simple thing to remember is corporations have no conscience. And Disney, pixar movies ideals are not what makes the world go round and round.
it’s all about the money.
Exactly. Corporations care absolutely nothing but money. If causing global temperature rise can earn them trillions of dollars, they will do it. As long as they earn money, that’s all that matters.

Reactions: AbsoluteAnointedOne

ybbbbbbb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2021
乌鲁木齐
Although I really dislike how everything here - in China - relies on wechat, the app does not get updated more than any other social network app, that is, once a week or so. Although to me, that's waaay to frequent.
As far as storage is concerned, the app itself is around 500MB. The problem is how quickly the cache gets big.
My WeChat

Attachments

• IMG_3084.png
    IMG_3084.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 17
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.