Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced the launch of Tap to Pay on iPhone in Taiwan, allowing independent sellers, small merchants, and large retailers in the country to use ‌iPhones‌ as a payment terminal.

Apple-Tap-to-Pay-on-iPhone-avail-Taiwan-payment.jpg

Introduced in February 2022, the feature allows compatible iPhones to accept payments via Apple Pay, contactless credit and debit cards, and other digital wallets, using only an ‌iPhone - no additional hardware or credit card machine is required‌. Tap to Pay on ‌iPhone‌ uses NFC technology to securely authenticate the contactless payments.

China Trust Bank and TapPay are the initial payment platforms supporting Tap to Pay for their business customers (including major customers Taiwan Mobile and Taiwan Taxi Co). Taipei Fubon Bank will add support to its payment platform later in the year.

Tap to Pay on ‌iPhone‌ requires ‌iPhone‌ XS or newer models, and works for customers as any normal ‌Apple Pay‌ transaction would. Sellers just need to open up the app, register the sale, and present their ‌iPhone‌ to the buyer, who can then use an appropriate contactless payment method.

Tap to Pay on iPhone is available to over 700,000 additional businesses across the United States, and Apple Stores in the U.S. have also rolled out the feature. Taiwan is the second region to support Tap to Pay.

(Thanks, Lance!)

Article Link: Apple Launches Tap to Pay on iPhone in Taiwan

expiredyogurt

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
not america
0 video on this feature working in real life on YouTube
so its available to 700k businesses but no one using it or journalist didnt bother to cover it or show it in action in real world transaction?

cnf1k

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
Well, as a Taiwanese, I notice that Taiwan has been emerging on newsletters quite often recently...

Back to this post... I am curious about why this feature is only available in the US and Taiwan for the moment?

I think what our people care about after so many years, is that you still cannot use your iPhone to pay for a Taipei Metro ticket. This is quite inconvenient🤣, especially if you take the Metro daily. Though I can understand that our government is probably reluctant to update the payment machines of the Metro... because it may cost a lot to upgrade all the payment machines (and do we need to spend this money? maybe I would rather buy some more Missiles to protect our homeland instead🤣)

Reactions: mhnd and ddhhddhh2

i_bit_the_apple

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
Well, as a Taiwanese, I notice that Taiwan has been emerging on newsletters quite often recently...

Back to this post... I am curious about why this feature is only available in the US and Taiwan for the moment?

I think what our people care about after so many years, is that you still cannot use your iPhone to pay for a Taipei Metro ticket. This is quite inconvenient🤣, especially if you take the Metro daily. Though I can understand that our government is probably reluctant to update the payment machines of the Metro... because it may cost a lot to upgrade all the payment machines (and do we need to spend this money? maybe I would rather buy some more Missiles to protect our homeland instead🤣)
EasyCard is using old MiFare technology. The Samsung and Garmin phones sold in Taiwan have an easycard in them, however there was a statement from EasyCard that Apple won't allow it as it's too old and too many security issues with it.

That's why there is the new SuperCard but it's still not something on the phones.

The newer lines in Taichung support Apple Pay credit card and they said it ei be too much to update all the terminal in Taipei.

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
I'm surprised it's not available in the UK given the amount of traders I see using Square and Zettle devices - quite often waiting for the things to connect (un)successfully in busy markets; having tap to pay would really speed up the purchase experience for these merchants.

Reactions: mhnd

alankemsley

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
I’m surprised to see this feature expand to Taiwan first, of all places. I doubt it will be popular, as this would require the merchant to own an iPhone.

Other current mobile payment solutions only require them to display a QR code on a sign. They don’t even need to own a smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.