Apple Launching iPhone 3G in 20 Countries Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2008.

1. DevilInDisguise macrumors member

Not really. I believe its USD $599 + taxes ($650?) for the 8 GB model without a contract in the US. In India its USD $710. Surplus of $60.

Apple products always seem to be 15%-20% more exp then in the US. Dont know why but would love to know.

2. mikey.f macrumors regular

Actually, I think it was not. I'm from Slovakia, where iPhone was released today (starting 00:00 AM in some stores)... We're still waiting for an update from Apple, because the phone is not localized to Slovak language, nor can we type some of our letters on the keyboard. I know this same goes for Czech and a few other Slavic countries (and probably many more).

There's also a few more international issues that need to be resolved, and I'm hoping to see an update soon!

3. jonthegeologist macrumors member

.. and were the Indian (or other country) versions 'unlocked'. Are there now official Apple supplied 3G iPhones on the market that are unlocked?

4. mikey.f macrumors regular

It seems to depend on the carrier. Here, Orange sells it unlocked, yet T-Mobile locked. Both have the same practices with all the other cell phones they sell.

5. DevilInDisguise macrumors member

list of countries that are selling the iPhone unlocked/locked --- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

6. onemanarmy333 macrumors newbie

onemanarmy333

its odd that it hasent come out in luxembourg. its the only country in westren europe were it isnt out. its also the only country with an itunes store and not have the iphone

7. macwall macrumors 6502

8. nricklee macrumors newbie

India is one of the countries where the iPhone 3G is than in the U.S. The iPhone costs 31,000 rupees (712 dollars) for the 8GB model, and 36,100 rupees ($828) for the 16 GB version. Still, the local carriers are confident that the iPhone will be a popular item.

In Us. its price is only 199 dollars, i don't understand what things have manufacturers that force 'em to increase the price so much?

9. tiger02 macrumors newbie

Hey Mikey,

Orange's plans in Slovakia look pretty good. I can only find their prices with a two year contract though--how much do they sell the phone for, unlocked?

Add the price of a tank of gas from Budapest, and I might have to go for it :)

Tom

10. Austin1 macrumors newbie

In singapore the highest plan is zero startup cost .. for 3gb data.. but monthly pay 200+Sing. (140USD),:eek: .... the cheapest plan ... $$25 monthly ... 800+ (500++uSD) :eek: for the 16gb model.

check it out at

http://home.singtel.com/singtel/index.html#iphone

Noway near the 199usd.... Singtel is really killing us....

11. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

The funny thing about India launch is that the price is not as per international standards inspite of the original claim that iPhone 3G would be sold $200-$300 globally. In India there are no 3G services available to avail 3G capabilities of iPhone.

Also, the data plans are really expensive $30 for 500 MB data usage, plus for 5000 Minutes usage it would come around $30.

To make matter worse, these phones are locked to Vodafone & Airtel which are promoting iPhone 3G.

The plain truth is average Indian consumer will shy away from Apple, once it is branded as high-profile and it will be very difficult to break this ice in countries like India where perception matters the most for average citizens. Blackberry devices are clear examples where BB 8703 are considered as niche equipments (for its price not because of its features!) though average Indian carries much better mobile phones than BB 8703 in terms of capabilities & features.

People who are aware of iPhone are unfortunately smart ones and will not buy the product for this price!

12. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

It is a misperception that globally the price would be $200-$300 irrespective of the carrier/plan — it was ONLY that way, if the carrier was willing to subsidize the cost upfront, and then have the ability to recoup it in the form of monthly charges TIED with a CONTRACT for 2 or 3 years.

So from what I gather, it seems to me that in India, the customer is paying the full cost for the contract free phone ( I believe when that option is available in US, it will about $600-$700 here too). So what they are really overpaying is about $100 — which is about 15%. That seems to be the case with most high end electronics that you can get in India — it is about 15 to 25% higher in cost (which might have something to do with import and excise duties on the items)

So my deduction is that most of this outrage is created and fueled by iPhone/airtel/vodafone competitors trying to shoo away potential customers from getting one by making baseless comparisons, like the Indian customer is paying 3 times what the US customers are paying etc etc...

When all is said and done, unlike US, the phone IS targeted at VERY upwardly mobile young professionals in multinational companies and other filthy rich families/celebrities and so on – numerically there are several hundred thousands of them. They are the real potential customers, and I would guess a good fraction of them WILL get the device making India, another lucrative country for Apple.

Most importantly though, if Apple wants to make iPhone/iPod touch a compelling option for every upper-middle-class Indian, they have to open a local iTunes store with lots of Indian songs and movies – remember this country makes more movies than any other in the world and the population is nuts for movies and movie songs! Apple needs to bring that experience a part of the package and a local iTunes store to make this all available, just a push button away would seal the deal.

13. v10rmc macrumors newbie

iphone portugal

If i buy an iphone pay as you go in portugal where vodafone is the carrier will i be able to use it with my vodafone contract in the uk

14. CoolMax macrumors newbie

US to India

Would it make any sense to buy the iPhone in the US (w/o contract) and activate it in India?
    Just trying to save someone a few bucks, but it appears it may not be worth the hassle.