Apple Launching iTunes Movie Offerings in Over a Dozen New Countries

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 27, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Late last month, Apple launched the iTunes Music Store in 12 new European countries, with the updated terms and conditions for users in those countries also addressing movie and TV show content despite those options not being made available in the new countries.

It now appears that Apple has begun rolling out iTunes Store movie content in a number of these and other countries, marking yet another substantial international expansion to Apple's content catalog.

[​IMG]

Movie listing from Estonian iTunes Store
    Based on reports from readers and an examination of the iTunes Store, it appears that movies are now available in Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, and Slovakia, and Slovenia - all countries that had been included in the latest round of music store expansion. Curiously, the Romanian iTunes Store appears to be the only one of the twelve recent music additions to have not yet received movie content.

Earlier this week we also received a couple of reports of movies becoming available in Greece and Portugal, two countries that have had music store access since 2004, suggesting that the movie expansion may be even broader.

As has been in the case with other similar content expansions, Apple has not yet launched dedicated navigation bar tabs in iTunes for movies in the new countries, but the content is showing up in search results.

One other batch of new European markets for iTunes Store movie content went live in late September, with the Apple TV launching in those countries soon after. Consequently, customers in countries where movie content is launching this week may also be seeing the Apple TV debut in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Launching iTunes Movie Offerings in Over a Dozen New Countries

2. justgeig macrumors member

Glad to hear other countries get to partake :) I've enjoyed it so far

3. Skika macrumors 68030

4. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

5. apernett macrumors member

Oh Apple, your love for Europe, Japan and China is almost sordid. We latin americans are yearning for ya and you didn't even got us a clue for when the iTunes Sotre (movies AND music) is coming here. Sigh!

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

7. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Wow, I should move to Estonia, they get it in English there.

I seem to be stuck with German here in Switzerland.

8. pake macrumors regular

Still waiting for south america... we've only got apps.

9. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

This is a thing I don't understand.

Why they don't put the movies or tv shows with multiple tracks and subtitles?

10. lesiu, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

lesiu macrumors newbie

great news!

but hope as the next step they will align their store pricing to match the local currency value vs euro.
    No idea why they are using ~+20% exchange rate now :confused:

11. rerelease macrumors regular

One of the benefits of using such a small and insignificant language.

Almost every feature length film is in its original language, with subtitles. The notable exception are Pixar, Dreamworks etc animations with professional local voice work, but they usually have screenings in English as well.

I cringe every time I use applications translated into Estonian. It's just painful. English is a lot less awkward for computing.

12. mikerudolph22 macrumors regular

13. sideburn macrumors newbie

Give me iCloud for movies too and I'll start buying movies, donate my DVDs and never look back... :D

14. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

No Polish subtitles, movies are English only... They must be kidding, right? I think someone at Apple should at least consult Wikipedia, just to check what language is used here. No, it's not English. Really.

15. oliversl macrumors 65816

As I understand, Apple does not allow you to buy Movies and Music outside USA because of the Movie/Music Studios, right?

The Universallization of Movies and Music is something that is years light aways from the Worldwide population.

It is too sad. I want to give the Studios money in exchange of a movie, and they didn't accept my money.

I hope is not Apple fault and also hope People understand this.

16. Ruieduardonunes macrumors newbie

In Portugal we can find movies when searching but we haven't a tab yet on Mac iTunes. In iOS it already appears on the tab.

Sorry for the bad english,

From Portugal,
    Rui Eduardo Nunes

17. iChrist macrumors 65816

iChrist

They are good markets for Apple to sell movie, because nobody in those countries work so have lot of time for watching movie. And rest of Europe can pay for their itunes bill. Haha. :rolleyes:

18. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

So if you buy a film, can you get the HD version? The screenshot suggests not, in which case that sucks...

Also - am I to understand from previous posts that you can only rent unless you're in the USA? Crazy...

19. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

Absolutely agree with you. Same with Latvian. Optional subtitles are welcome, but I prefer that movies and software stay with the original language, English.

Anyway - wonderful news. Apple TV, for example, becomes way more useful now.

20. 11thIndian macrumors regular

Some movies are available for purchase in SD or HD or both. Same with rentals. It's all on the studios what they allow Apple to sell or rent and when. A lot of kids movies have never been made available for rental, since they know the likelihood that a frustrated parent will break down and buy it. And it's up to the studio whether there's a 30 day holdback on rentals. Some do and some don't. I must be frustrating for Apple, cause most people will put the blame on them.

21. 0997853 Suspended

I can confirm: no movies on the Romanian iTunes store. Thanks to all my fellow citizens who use pirated movies...: mad: I guess that's why we don't have iCloud for iTunes either...

22. xplor macrumors regular

xplor

I feel you. Portuguese its the 5th most spoken language in the world by native speakers, and after English, french, german and spanish the most important ones in the tech world, and still i use everything i can in English. Again, its just painfull.

----------

Btw, the films tab shows up here to :)

23. akbarali.ch macrumors 6502a

akbarali.ch

24. dimi94941 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Can someone answer this please:

Will these countries be getting AMERICAN movies and music, so the same as in US or will they have only their own content uploaded, so European movies and songs?