Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overratedboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
mobile-browser-share.png

Apple leads the browser market when it comes to real-world usage on mobile devices.
(Credit: Net Applications)
New statistics released today show a competitive volatility in the the mobile browser market absent from the slower-moving personal computer browser market.
Net Applications has long shown the total browser usage worldwide based on visits to a collection of Web sites using its analytics software. Now, though, it's separated PC browsing on desktops and laptops from mobile browsing on phones and tablets. With PCs, the story remains largely unchanged: Microsoft's Internet Explorer continues its gradual slide while Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari gradually rise.
But in the mobile market, there's a lot more jitter in the statistics. Apple's Safari, used on iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches, is the dominant browser, rising from 44.3 percent of usage in October 2010 to 53.0 percent in August 2011. And although the overall ranking of the top five browsers hasn't changed in the last year, it appears likely Google's unbranded Android browser will take the No. 2 spot from Opera Mini in coming months.
From October 2010 to August 2011, Opera Mini dropped in usage from 32.4 percent to 20.8 percent. Android's browser rose from 9.2 to 15.7 percent, according to the Net Applications statistics.
Also on a downward trend is the Symbian browser, which dropped from 8.1 percent to 5.8 percent. Blackberry's browser, in fifth place, edged from 2.7 percent to 2.9 percent.
Mobile browsing deserves more attention on its own now, Net Applications said. "The combination of mobile and tablet usage has continued to rise dramatically and is now over 6 percent (and accelerating) of all browsing on the Internet," the company said.
With Net Applications' new methodology, the personal computer browsers didn't change place, but Chrome came out better and Safari came out worse once the mobile browsers were split off into their own category.
For computer browsers under the new methods, IE dropped from 61.0 percent to 55.3 percent from October 2010 to August 2011; Firefox dropped from 23.6 percent to 22.6 percent; Chrome rose from 8.8 percent to 15.5 percent; Safari rose from 3.9 percent to 4.6 percent; and Opera dropped from 2.3 percent to 1.7 percent.

PC-browser-share.png

In the personal computer browser market, Chrome is catching up to Firefox.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Not really surprising. iOS overall is top mobile OS, and as of now Apple's competitors in the tablet space are non-starters.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Didn't realise so many people used Opera mini
Many may use it without being aware of it. My old Skypephone S2's default browser was based on Opera Mini. I imagine many smartphones out there have it.

It's rather good as well, especially for non-touchscreen based smartphones.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Interesting but not completely surprising info. It'll be interesting to see how this shapes up 6-12 months from now with google-android making a concerted effort to take some of Apple's share. Apple's advantage, IMO, remains its iPad product line. All others are still playing catch up.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Many may use it without being aware of it. My old Skypephone S2's default browser was based on Opera Mini. I imagine many smartphones out there have it.

It's rather good as well, especially for non-touchscreen based smartphones.

Yeah now that i think back im sure one of my old phones came with it installed as standard.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah now that i think back im sure one of my old phones came with it installed as standard.

Before my iPhone it was what I used on all my phones. I still use it occasionally on my iPhone, it's a great browser.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
See somewhat different statistics here:
http://gs.statcounter.com/

Here's the graph that covers the same range as the OP's graph:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_browser-ww-monthly-201010-201108

I'm not saying one is more reliable or believable than the other. Just saying there's more than one story out there.

Switching to the bar graph makes it a bit easier to read.

They talk about browser share, but list only devices, and do not include the iPad. They do mention the iPhone and iPod Touch, though.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Switching to the bar graph makes it a bit easier to read.

They talk about browser share, but list only devices, and do not include the iPad. They do mention the iPhone and iPod Touch, though.

Bar graph shows different data and looks like more of an average over the entire time. Line graph shows how it is moving. Looking at the guy you quated source is shows mobile OS and iOS would include iPad, iPhone and iPods and mobile browser would show all thoses

My question since it does not seem to be in the OP article is how they collected the infomation. If it is based off ads then Android is going to be higher than what is reported as most tech geeks on android have rooted and running some type of Ad blocking software on the phone and most custom Roms have it bake in.
I kind of want to know how the other browsers on Android and Blackberry show up (Opera, bolt firefox and so on.) iOS and Window mobile you do not get a choice. Both require you to use their respective browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.