Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has inked a deal for 200,000 square feet of office space near Madison Square Garden in New York, according to The New York Post. Apple will be moving in to the 11th through 14th floors of 11 Penn Plaza, based on the terms of the deal.

applenewyorkofficespace.jpg
Image via The New York Post​

The building, located in midtown Manhattan, is along Seventh Avenue between West West 31st and 32nd streets, and close to Madison Square Garden and the Penn Station railway hub. The space was formerly occupied by Macy's, with the Macy's headquarters relocating to Long Island City.

Apple has only signed a five year deal with the option to extend the lease, which The New York Post takes as a sign Apple is perhaps still looking for a more permanent location.

Apple already has 52,000 square feet of office space at 100 to 104 Fifth Avenue housing marketing employees and commercial software applications developers, and the building is said to be "bursting at the seams."

Article Link: Apple Leases Office Space Near Madison Square Garden in New York City

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I work at One Penn. Midtown is the worst section of Manhattan by far.

Tons of homeless people, crackheads, and drug dealers just roam around in plain sight while the NYPD can't do anything.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Tons of homeless people, crackheads, and drug dealers just roam around in plain sight while the NYPD can't do anything.
I used to work at one penn. It was oh so convenient when I road the rails of LIRR. Then I moved to Manhattan and was able to walk to work.

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017

You haven't visited San Francisco lately have you? The whole city is like this. Not just a few blocks.

Reactions: magicschoolbus

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014

Yup. A big part of the reason why I left working in NYC.
Hopefully all of this innovation makes its way to the consumers soon.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Very strange location choice unless Apple assumed no one working there actually wanted to live in NYC. If you’re coming into town via Penn Station, the location is awful but very convenient. If you’re in town, you avoid the Penn Station area like the plague. I mean, I guess people will deal, but this is not where great companies typically set up shop.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Man, what a bunch of delicate flowers. I guess you guys didn’t experience 42nd street in the early 1980’s. Penn Station area is a delightful garden of Eden today in comparison.

Reactions: cdcastillo

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Where do “great” companies go? Soho, lower manhattan, 6th Avenue, union square? Or maybe Brooklyn?

Depends on the type of company, but all of those places are possible. For Apple, Union Square, SoHo, UWS, or Midtown East. Not Penn Station.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Even by Bryant Park, Grand Central and the new One Vanderbilt would be a way better location.

Penn Station is super convenient for the commuter from NJ or LI, but its a total ******** compared to most of Manhattan.
[automerge]1583080150[/automerge]
They could even more into the Hudson Rail Yards a few blocks away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.