Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has leased additional office buildings in Santa Clara, California, and has started "a significant reconstruction" of the interior space, reports the San Jose Mercury News.

The two buildings under construction are located near the southeast corner of Kifer Road and Uranium Drive in Santa Clara, approximately six miles away from 1 Infinite Loop and five miles away from its new Apple Park campus.

applenewsantaclarabuilding-800x342.jpg
One of the new buildings Apple has leased. Image via San Jose Mercury News
The technology titan wouldn't disclose the purpose of the work, but some industry watchers believe the company needs the space because it continues in hiring mode, which in turn requires more space.

"Apple is bursting at the seams," said Tim Bajarin, principal analyst with Campbell-based Creative Strategies, a market researcher.
The leases and construction were discovered in documents filed in early August with the Santa Clara County Recorder's Office, and an Apple spokesperson confirmed that Apple has leased the buildings.

One building measures in at 43,000 square feet, while the other comes in at 30,000 square feet, for a total of 73,000 square feet of office space.

Along with its two main campuses in Cupertino, Apple occupies many other office buildings in the surrounding areas in Santa Clara, San Jose, and Sunnyvale and has been expanding rapidly in recent years to accommodate its growing workforce.

Apple has leased several additional buildings in Santa Clara, encompassing more than a million square feet of office space, and it has purchased land for a massive office complex in North San Jose.

Article Link: Apple Leasing More Office Space Near Cupertino Campuses

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
While I'm certain that there will always be a need to keep some units off-site, it seems rather odd that the new, multibillion dollar, custom designed campus they haven't yet moved into was either not large enough or has workspace not properly configured for all of your operations.

I'm not an architect, but it seems that the spaceship would be far more difficult to add on to than a more traditional building. Now that I'm thinking about, this is the same design philosophy they adhere to for their products—I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
While I'm certain that there will always be a need to keep some units off-site, it seems rather odd that the new, multibillion dollar, custom designed campus they haven't yet moved into was either not large enough or has workspace not properly configured for all of your operations.

I'm not an architect, but it seems that the spaceship would be far more difficult to add on to than a more traditional building. Now that I'm thinking about, this is the same design philosophy they adhere to for their products—I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.
They should have modelled the spaceship after the ISS rather than after the Death Star. I guess, like you suggested, it's a PC vs Mac ethos thing.
[doublepost=1503051805][/doublepost]
Curpetino should really just be called "Apple"
Or just Cupertino... ;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Maybe it's for their lawyers. I can't see their massive legal team benefiting from working inside a giant donut with the product development people.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
it seems rather odd that the new, multibillion dollar, custom designed campus they haven't yet moved into was either not large enough or has workspace not properly configured for all of your operations.

I'm not an architect, but it seems that the spaceship would be far more difficult to add on to than a more traditional building.
What if it actually *is* a spaceship?

Reactions: spyguy10709

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
The spaceship is very huge. Just wondering how do you go to the other side of the building? 20 minute walk?

Traditional buildings you just have to take the elevator.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Apple has leased additional office buildings in Santa Clara, California, and has started "a significant reconstruction" of the interior space, reports the San Jose Mercury News.

Jony Ive decided that the interior spaces didn't have enough glue.
Must start from scratch. :\

[doublepost=1503076065][/doublepost]
Move all the offices out of the Spaceship campus and put in some lanes and people can race around with Segways on their lunch break.

They can already do that ... in the underground "parking garage" ... ack "test track" for "autonomous systems".

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta

Maybe the spaceship is also thermally limited like the Mac Pro, but it does look very cool ;)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The spaceship is very huge. Just wondering how do you go to the other side of the building? 20 minute walk?

Traditional buildings you just have to take the elevator.

Elevators are only effective if everything is in one building.

But most big tech company campuses are just that... campuses made up of multiple buildings. Google, Microsoft, etc.

At least you can stay indoors if you have to walk to the other side of Apple's new spaceship building. :p

Look at Apple's current Infinite Loop campus below. Imagine the walk from Infinite Loop #3 to Bandley #8

AppleCampusInfiniteLoop.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.