Apple Leather Case Alternatives?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by afinch1992, Nov 4, 2013.

1. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I have been using the Apple brand leather case for a few days now and have really began to fall in love with the idea of a leather case. Everything about the case is great except it leaves me wanting more from the feel. To me the leather feels pretty pleather-like. Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar leather case with a bit more of a premium feel and/or look?

edit: not crazy about the mushy buttons either.

2. Lux12 macrumors member

Try this. They are more expensive because they use quality leather and they are each hand made

http://www.vajacases.com/iphone-5-leather-cases

But i honestly think Apple has the nicest looking leather case

3. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I have perused vaja, but the price has been a turn off to this point. I know they are great quality, so I might just keep an eye out on ebay or the MP

4. Munitalp macrumors 65816

5. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

Sena Cases just released this new case, and I bought the tan version for my friend. She wanted the Apple case, but was concerned about it attracting dirt, as reported elsewhere. Her initial reaction to the Sena case is very positive. It appears to be well made, durable, and would probably provide decent protection if the phone is dropped.

6. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Are there any issues with the camera corner appearing less protected? Any concerns with it getting ripped or torn at all? I am leaning towards the metallic snap-on thats up for pre-order due to the thickness at first glance.

7. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

afinch992,

My friend is traveling for a few days, having left for the airport just minutes after I gave the case to her, so I'm afraid I can't definitively answer your questions as of now. I will say that the case seems quite sturdy. I guess the large opening for the camera lens/flash area could allow for a bit more damage than other cases, but the corner itself is protected by a hard plastic "frame" that appeared to me to be covered in leather. It looks to me that the Metallic Ultra Thin Snap-on Case uses the same design.

I'd be happy to provide more answers/info after she returns on Sunday.

8. iBrody macrumors 6502

Wallet style case?

http://kavaj.com/iphone-5s-case-dallas-black/

I use a Kavaj case on my iPad and they're very well made. Customer support is top notch too (they phoned me 2 months after I purchased the case to ask if everything was ok!).

9. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Oh I see now. I think it is probably a bit too thick for my taste anyways. thank you for the assistance however.

Those both look like great cases, but I only need the back part protected. Flip fronts are not really my style. Thanks for the suggestions!

10. crazywalking macrumors newbie

11. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Sena makes some good products. I had a pouch made by them and loved it. Just got tired of pulling my phone out of a pouch all the time. I guess I get more texts then I anticipated.

12. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I picked up the Coach case mentioned earlier in the thread for $19 at the Coach Mens Outlet in Atlantic City today. We'll see how it holds up.

13. Kalebima macrumors newbie

Does the Coach case add a lot of bulk? I'm trying to decide between their brown leather case or a wallet sleeve from Atelier Pall for the gold 5s I'll be purchasing in a month. I'd probably be picking up mine from the AC outlet as well - did they have a lot of them?

14. Radiating macrumors 65816

Exchange yours for another one. Apple uses many sources of leather and only around 30% of them have a soft plush feel.

15. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I would say it's pretty similar to the apple leather case. I think they had them in a box in the middle of the store and at the register. But they don't have the leather one's in the regular coach store, only the mens.

16. Kimball macrumors regular

Just got these cases from Xqisit in @ our shop in Sweden, the leather look is stunning! To bad its got cut outs instead of buttons like the apple one does, but the feel and smell of the leather is great!

[​IMG]

Theyre ~9$ Cheaper vs Apples leather case.

17. mackie8 macrumors 6502

18. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Nomad Leather cases, you can pick them up from Best Buy, I did a videos review on it.

19. niijonodhg, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016

niijonodhg macrumors regular

niijonodhg

I'm not usually a fan of Leather Flip cases, however Shieldon sent me a few for a review and I'm currently really enjoying the one I'm using! You could give them ago?

EDIT:

They actually sent me some discount codes if you want them:

Amazon UK: THCJI6K5 (15%) http://amzn.to/2cHGk4i
    Amazon US: IFVLN5HZ (20%) http://amzn.to/2dMrAQq

Here's my video of the unboxing if you want to see what they look like:

Some Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

I second the choice for the Nomad case, it is by far the best leather case I've ever used and is actually my favorite of any case I've ever had, leather or otherwise.

21. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

The horween leather in the nomad case is what sold me to it.

I have a pair of boots made with horween cxl leather that has aged beautifully that I have fond memories traveling in. If it's durable enough for my 5yr old wolverine 1k boots, it's more than earned it's spot on my phone case.

Some people might not like its ruggedness and claim it feels cheap but the beauty of the leather is it ages with use. The natural oils in your skin along with dings and scratches from everyday use will just add character.

Accept the transient imperfect nature of leather.

22. Mredance macrumors newbie

I like leather case, smells good, protection good, touch feeling good.