Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
i don’t know how it does it, but the Apple leather case is amazingly good at sucking up dust and lint in your pocket and piling it up like a snow drift along the front lip of the case.

I haven’t seen clear TPU cases do that even with a pronounce lip. What special magic do Apple use to make them do this?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The only advice I can offer here, is try to clean out your pockets the best you can before you put your case inside your pocket. I have had very little issues with lint gathering on my leather cases.

Reactions: TinyChip

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
The only advice I can offer here, is try to clean out your pockets the best you can before you put your case inside your pocket. I have had very little issues with lint gathering on my leather cases.

Which I’d understand but I don’t see the same issue on other cases. I’ve had a ringke fusion on most of the week just fine, then yesterday I switched to the leather case and it’s full of dust. Just seems odd

And that phone pocket only ever has my phone in it - nothing else goes in there so I’m not sure what I could do to reduce lint/dust

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And that phone pocket only ever has my phone in it - nothing else goes in there so I’m not sure what I could do to reduce lint/dust

What you could try, is turn your pocket inside out and use a lint roller that would collect any debris inside the pocket. That's the only thing I can suggest to you.

Reactions: TinyChip and mrklaw

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Mine does the same thing. Had it on for just over a year. I just clean it out once a week by taking the phone out and blowing it off and wiping it away, works fine for me. It's just pocket lint from my jeans and stuff. I think it's like that because of the design, with the low lip there not covering the bottom and the microfiber on the inside holds it in.

TPU cases usually don't have a microfiber lining to hold stuff in so that's probably why you don't see it on those. Plus most cover the bottom as well. On the other hand I have a Jet Black iPhone 7 and the microfiber has kept particles that sneak in, in place. Thus keeping it from getting scratched up by small bits of dirt/rock etc moving around on the back like I've seen with some cases. So it's a tradeoff I'll take. Except I have a dent in the lighting port where the case doesn't cover it, but oh well. Just luck of the draw on that one, all the drops that have hit the corners or gone face down have caused zero damage to the phone and only taken bits of leather off the case.

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
'Tis weird. I, too, have seen my Apple Silicone case attract lint like crazy and only my phone and wallet adorns said pocket. Oddly enough, when I put in a Speck Presidio Grip, it too grabs lint at an amazing pace. Though my plastic clear case and another TPU doesn't attract as much. Not sure what's causing this. Didn't see this much with my 7 Plus with similar cases.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Totally! I wasn’t crazy about the Apple leather case and got a Sena. That front lip has stayed clean and clear of dust.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hmm so the Silicone's biggest flaw is also one that 'features' on the leather?

The Silicone is really looking the more attractive option, as it should be easier to clean with a damp cloth.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Hmm so the Silicone's biggest flaw is also one that 'features' on the leather?

The Silicone is really looking the more attractive option, as it should be easier to clean with a damp cloth.

Is the silicon less grippy than the earlier cases? I found when I had one on my 6s+ it would make it difficult to put in/remove from my pockets

Do apple stores have open stock of the silicon/leather cases you can try on for looks and how they feel in the hand? Or is it a crap shoot?

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
Is the silicon less grippy than the earlier cases? I found when I had one on my 6s+ it would make it difficult to put in/remove from my pockets

Do apple stores have open stock of the silicon/leather cases you can try on for looks and how they feel in the hand? Or is it a crap shoot?
I've never gotten used to the apple silicon cases, they always seem a bit greasy/slippery to me despite hearing everyone else say it's grippy. Maybe it's my natural skin oils causing it lol.

My local apple store has each case in all the colours available to try on, may not be the case for all stores but I'm sure they have it.

Reactions: mrklaw

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
RE: The silicone case, I can't speak for the X yet, but on the iPhone 7 it was really slippery for about a week, like really felt like it was slowly sliding down your hands as you held your phone...

...but after a week or two of use, it becomes really grippy. I can hold it at extreme angles on two fingers and it's not going anywhere.

The only downside of Silicone is you don't get the clicks metal buttons of the leather, and the material also wears down quite quickly to a smoother, even grippier, material.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.