Apple leather case + High-end IEM / earbuds

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by UBS28, Dec 27, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I can't use my high-end IEM (Shure SE535) with the Apple leather case for my iPhone 5S. The hole of the leather case is too small. Is there any solution to this?

The only solution so far is simply going naked. But I'm not sure how easily these iPhone 5S scratches (the iPhone 5 scuffed easily for example).

2. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

3. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not a little bit bigger, I'd have to cut away the entire case around the headphone out.

4. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

They do make short-range extenders. Could pick one up from Amazon.

5. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Assuming you're not an accident prone person, the 5s holds up much better than the 5 did caseless. Not a scratch on my launch day gold.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That sounds like an exaggeration, how much bigger can that plug be?

OK fine use an extender cable as suggested.

7. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not an exaggeration unfortunately. The connector is as wide as the iPhone itself almost.

I'll investigate the extender cable. But it's not optimal since the Shure SE535 has extremely long cables to begin with.

Or if the prices are right, perhaps recabling them might do the trick while improving the sound quality also.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

About a combination of making the hole bigger then take an exacto and shave off some plastic from the plug?

9. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Having the same issue with my Sennheisers. Using the Apple ones for now (which are much improved from what they used to include), but may try to shave the plug later.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have the Spigen Slim Armor S and Ultra Hybrid used with my Shure SE315. No problem.

Or get the headphone extender.

11. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll take a look at those cases. :)

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

oops wait… no I double checked and those Spigen cases don't fit. I just noticed that they work with my Shure SE110 and not my SE315. I thought I had tested both, sorry. The SE110 came with a extension adapter (link below). It's about the same length as the iPhone USB cable, half the length of the SE315. Notice how the end grove is smaller around the plastic piece (see photo). That's the kind of extension you need to make it fit. It's also wrapped in the same kevlar thickness as my SE315.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EAC3BK-Extension-E500PTH-Earphones/dp/B001DX9EDW/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

If you can find something that is smaller than 3ft, it will work. If you can't than get the Shure extension adapter and wrap a velcro strap around it. Or Bobino cable wrap.

Velcro
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Velcro...=1388261250&sr=8-3&keywords=velcro+cable+ties

Bobino
    http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-HH40-G-Small-Bobino-Green/dp/B0042RVA3S/ref=pd_sim_hg_6

[​IMG]