apple leather case + skin worth it ???

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by richxps, Oct 2, 2013.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Does anyone think a skin is needed on the phone along with the apple leather case ? I'm scared to scratch the back of phone in the case unless the soft inner layer is enough ?

2. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I'll be using a back protector on mine. i also considered using some sticker boy side protectors that are big enough to cover the chamfers, but i don't know if it will fit in the case that way. i've heard the fit is very snug. i think the back protector would be fine though. without it, i think you do run the risk of scratching the back, especially in the area around the camera opening. stuff gets in there and inevitably would scratch the glass around the edges. that glass is very easy to scratch. i don't have the back protectors yet (need to order). i think the phone will be fine in the case for a week or so. but over time my guess is it might get very fine marks in that area.

3. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Took mine off after 4 days and not a single speck of dirt/dust has got between the case and the back/sides. Protectors are not necessary.

4. emseven macrumors regular

Guys, this is ridiculous. Please attempt to USE your most expensive gadgets.

5. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Wrap it in silk. Store in ziploc bag. Fool proof.

6. Riverton macrumors member

What's ridiculous, exactly? Protecting your investment? Maximizing resale value? I've had a case before that, much to my dismay after taking it off, had scratched up the back of my phone.

7. emseven macrumors regular

A replacement back for an iPhone 4S is $19.99 installed. You are talking about paying that for a film that goes beneath your protective case. Ridiculous.

8. Riverton macrumors member

4S? OP is asking about Apple's leather case-- the one for the 5/5S, not the 4S. Replacing the back of a 5/5S is much more expensive than the 4S, not that it even matters because a protective film for the back only costs around ten bucks, AND it would save you from a trip to get it fixed in the first place.

Your posts here are the typical, self-centric thinking that runs rampant on this board. "If it's not for me, it shouldn't be for anyone." :rolleyes:

9. emseven macrumors regular

You're suggesting that if a grain of sand creates a 2mm hairline you will rush to iMedic for a new backing next week? That weekly you will uncover your 5s and inspect despite it having no impact on usability?

The obvious reason I mentioned the 4S is because two years after purchase is when one desires to sell their device. Supply and demand, economies of scale: when you remove the leather case in two years and it has a fine scratch you CAN pay $20-30 for a brand new replacement.

Think before you reply.

----------

[​IMG]

10. Riverton macrumors member

I won't have to rush to an iMedic because it will already be protected. :D

Personally, I'd rather pay $10 for an extra few millimeters of protection, as opposed to paying $20 at a later date to get it replaced, which is completely fine if that's the road some would rather take.

The point is that neither is wrong. :cool:

11. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

This

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

Doesn't look good at all...to each their own I guess.

13. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

I'd imagine a back protector would take away fro the little lay on the table design there is.

14. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Oh, the irony.

15. Riverton macrumors member

Not really...

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Pot, kettle. It's a matter of preference. If you think these threads are ridiculous then stop reading and posting in them. Move on to threads relevant to you instead of evangelizing your preferences.

17. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

I was the same way when i first got my iphone 5. I had front and back screen shields on it but after a while I ended up taking the back one off. I don't believe you will have an issue but if it makes you feel secure I say go for it!

18. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Having a back skin will make the case a tighter fit. Having the skins on the sides, make it almost impossible to fit the case on properly. It will bow out on the sides and removal is just a hassle. So best to go with back skin and no side skin if your set on using it with the Apple leather case.