Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roddyricchfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Just got my Ocean Bullstrap for my 12pro. Like it A LOT better than the Apple Red Leather case. The Apple Leather case looks, and feels a lot more artificial that previous years. Ive owned 3 generations now.

It feels like they’ve added an extra layer of protective coating or something... and the leather is a bright, artificial looking red. I have a feeling they don’t want the color to change/fade on the Apple case. Even though enthusiasts like a natural patina, the average consumer probably does not. I still like the Apple case, but would chose the Bullstrap 9.5/10 times.

Bullstrap feels great after you break it in for a day. Hopefully the durability long term is good too. Really like the bottom cutout, makes the phone nicer to use, and feels better swiping up for sure. I was constantly removing the Apple Leather case from my phone cause sometimes I can’t stand the way it feels. Apple case gets sticky-ish, and rubbery... best way I can describe it.

Here’s photos of my Bullstrap, and one pic of the Red Apple case. The blue on the Bullstrap becomes a brighter color in brighter lights, very classy tone.

Attachments

• 9B167C84-05DA-4B30-A4A8-4DC5812F2903.jpeg
    9B167C84-05DA-4B30-A4A8-4DC5812F2903.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 3,821
  • F01CFB0B-B8A8-4EE4-8BAA-71DD209C76C4.jpeg
    F01CFB0B-B8A8-4EE4-8BAA-71DD209C76C4.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 2,115
  • 49E7404A-2C68-455D-9307-E605BBAD3143.jpeg
    49E7404A-2C68-455D-9307-E605BBAD3143.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 2,126
  • 99A21091-2993-46A3-AC6D-B953F3727C4F.jpeg
    99A21091-2993-46A3-AC6D-B953F3727C4F.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 2,036

roddyricchfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Yeah don’t like the fact that the bottom is open. I have the apple black leather and I love it. Also no MagSaf
Damn that looks niceee with the pacific blue. Kinda wish i still had the pacific blue pro.

The black apple leather case is really nice, I was going to get it. I only got red because im a real estate agent, and red is the most memorable color psychologically. So the idea was that people would maybe remember my red iphone lollll.

I thought id like the bottom being protected by the leather case too, but honestly after using the bullstrap IMO it feels much better and looks a lil better with the bottom cutout. Not a fan of the plastic ring around the apple leather either. Im usually a person that goes naked+AC with my phones, came from an SE2. So the more minimal and posh the case, the more likely Ill use it and keep it on. The pro 12 is the first phone I felt like needed to be protected lol, even with AC+

Not having magsafe turned out to he a bigger inconvenience than I expected. Even tho I thought magsafe was dumb after I bought it. I guess I like it more than I realize.

Nice tree btw!

Hansana

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2014
Damn that looks niceee with the pacific blue. Kinda wish i still had the pacific blue pro.

The black apple leather case is really nice, I was going to get it. I only got red because im a real estate agent, and red is the most memorable color psychologically. So the idea was that people would maybe remember my red iphone lollll.

I thought id like the bottom being protected by the leather case too, but honestly after using the bullstrap IMO it feels much better and looks a lil better with the bottom cutout. Not a fan of the plastic ring around the apple leather either. Im usually a person that goes naked+AC with my phones, came from an SE2. So the more minimal and posh the case, the more likely Ill use it and keep it on. The pro 12 is the first phone I felt like needed to be protected lol, even with AC+

Not having magsafe turned out to he a bigger inconvenience than I expected. Even tho I thought magsafe was dumb after I bought it. I guess I like it more than I realize.

Nice tree btw!

Hey thanks for all the compliments I would love to go naked with just the MagSafe wallet. But too scared

I had the graphite pro max before and swapped to PB and I love it.

I have exchanged the MagSafe wallet 3 times now

Saddle brown to Baltic blue to finally the black.

Reactions: roddyricchfan

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I recently got the bourbon one for my 12 mini and agree, it’s much nicer than the Apple offerings this year. It’s actually quality leather!

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I have no doubt the Bullstrap is better quality leather, but the lip on open bottom cases combined with the flat bottom of the 12 digs into my pinky and is really uncomfortable, so I went with the Apple case.

reybart

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
NYC
Yeah don’t like the fact that the bottom is open. I have the apple black leather and I love it. Also no MagSafe.
That's the opposite reason I have, I went for the open bottom of the bull strap, returned the apple leather case because of the closed bottom that annoyed me when I had to swipe up the bottom area: There was no once to swipe it up to work or I had to look at it to make it sure I am hitting it right; the lips at the bottom inhibit this.

Hansana

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2014
Magsafe is super convenient for accessorizing etc. Personally, I hope they make non-magsafe variants of the new phones next year tbh

What’s the point of that? It’s better to have and not use it if yo don’t like it.

Reactions: Htsi

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
What’s the point of that? It’s better to have and not use it if yo don’t like it.
Mainly because I believe the magsafe magnet array may be causing rings or warping on cases. I think that’s what happened to a leather case I have. I posted pics somewhere in this sub forum. If that’s true then it also activates my other latent paranoia about harmful electromagnetic radiation :oops:

RedRage

Suspended
Jan 18, 2021
I have both an Apple leather case and Bullstrap. The Bullstrap is definitely better IMO. The Bullstrap leather actually looks and smells like real leather. I also prefer the open bottom. But this is just me. Everyone is different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.