Apple leather vs silicone case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by avital, Oct 29, 2014.

1. avital macrumors newbie

Which offers most protection (shock absorbing)?

Or both are only for decoration and maybe grip?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Neither offer any real drop or shock protection. I think the silicon case is probably a bit more grippy. I have the leather case, and I'm happy with that. Try both out at the apple store and see which one you like the best.

3. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

+1

I think the silicone case may have a slight edge over the leather case but I wouldn't place a bet on either winning a drop contest.

The silicone does have slightly more girth than the leather case and may grab at your pocket lining if sliding it in or out of a tight pocket.

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

Although it's by no means scientific, one guy on YouTube did such drop test. On the final jump, silicone survived and leather didn't. One interesting note is that exposed bottom was not affected.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The amount of protection seems about equal. I've owned both.

I bought the leather case when I got the phone, and used it for a few days. However, it started to discolor rather badly within a week, so I returned it and got the black silicone case.

The clerk said she has seen a lot of returns of the leather case due to discoloration. The fit and finish of the silicone case also seems superior so far.

This was over a month ago, and my silicone case still looks flawless.

I'm probably going to buy a Lifeproof case when they become available, for when I go to the beach or to do strenuous outdoor activity, but at work, around the house and on most nights out, the Apple silicone case wins for me.