Apple Leather vs Silicone case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by samkim4415, Jan 12, 2017.

1. samkim4415 macrumors member

Hello,
    Just wanted to see what others think. Got a 7 Matte Black and I tried out different cases and its come down to apple leather black vs apple silicone black. I want to go for the black on black look. I know this is preference by person but wanted to hear some feedback.

Leather - feels more premium, less grip, no lint in pocket

Silicone - better grip, looks better, gathers the lint in pocket :(

How do both cases turn out over time?

Also, can these cases through the 1 year limited warranty...be covered and get a new one within a year?

Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

2. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Go leather. I've had both (on iPhone 6s) and the leather case wears much better over time (the finish tends to rub off of the silicone case) and it doesn't come out of your pocket covered in lint. The premium in hand feel of the leather is amazing. The only downside I have with the leather case is the power button feels less "clicky" but that has been addressed on the iPhone 7 leather case by making the buttons metal.

3. WillysWheelin16 macrumors newbie

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I can't speak for the current leather case but the one I got for my iPhone 6 Plus bubbled up with contact to moisture. Living in Miami moisture is a way of life so I've used the silicone cases since then. I also found the leather to be less grippy but that is pretty subjective. I love the black silicone case on my Silver 7 Plus.

5. Sean006 macrumors 6502

i went one of both...lol
    grey leather for during the week......black silicone for weekends and placing on the bar all the time lol

6. jlczl macrumors regular

Definitely the black leather. The grippiness will improve with time or you can speed it up by applying a layer of coconut oil and letting it dry, it usually only takes a couple of minutes. The wear and tear on the leather will look much better than the wear and tear on the silicone. I think the Apple leather black case on a black iPhone looks better but that's subjective.

7. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I have both silicone and leather for my iP7 and iP7+ and to me the leather feels really slippery at first, the silicone feels kind of slimey. As you can see from the photos below the difference between the Midnight Blue leather and silicone cases.

I also picked up a Saddle Brown leather case today and the 2nd and 3rd photos show the difference between before and after two treatments of coconut oil.

The biggest plus for the coconut oil is the grip it gives the leather cases, better than the silicone case in my opinion.

IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0181.JPG

8. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

9. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

Go with both. I prefer the leather but if you are gonna have a pool day or doing an activity that you think could scratch up your nice leather put on the silicone case.