Apple LED ACD 'ticking noise'

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonnysods, Aug 6, 2009.

1. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Wow, so after a very careful debate and some great input from the MR support system, I decided to buy the new LED ACD.

I open it up yesterday, hooked it up to my Mac Pro and started using it. It looked great, needs a calibration of course, but overall I was impressed.

Then I started to hear a ticking or almost a creaking noise. I thought it was my desk 'settling' as I had added some extra weight to the desk, and because I was leaning on it at the time to connect the cables up etc.

I closed my eyes and leaned next to the machine and waited - it wasn't coming from the ACD speakers, it was coming from the monitor itself. I checked it out on some Apple support threads, sounds like it's an issue of heat contraction and expansion as the monitor starts up. 10 minutes into having it on it was somewhat slowed, but my goodness it was annoying.

Anyone else have these issues?

Recommendations? Call up Apple?

I'm really, really bummed out.

2. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I recently bought the display. I noticed the same thing. It occurred very often on first startup, but now I have had it for about a week, and haven't heard any clicks over the last few days. I guess its just to do with the monitor being new, and that it gets very hot, quickly.

3. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

So it's totally stopped?

I think I'm going to call up Apple and see what they say still.

4. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Yeah. Just give it a week and see what happens. It makes sense that the materials have to get used to the extreme heat...

5. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

it's a refurbished unit. I figured that it's already been through that.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This is strange, I've owned my 24" LED ACD since the day it was released around December 08.

Anyway I noticed this issue as well for the first 2 months and the last 7 months I tried to look for the ticking noise but nothing. Maybe whatever component that was affected by the heat has permanently changed or something or did I just "broken in" my display?

Anyway I've never had any issues with it, works absolutely 100% perfect and no more ticking noise from it the last 7 months.

7. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 603

jonnysods

It's a pity - I hadn't even had the monitor 24 hours and it was in for a repair. And I was counting on that monitor to get some graphic work done this week for a client.

Alas!