Apple LED CD iKlear screen coating / cleaning problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by relativism, Mar 22, 2009.

1. relativism macrumors newbie

I bought a 24 inch LED ACD a few weeks ago and ordered an iKlear cleaning set in addition. After some weeks I had to use it for the first time: I used the cleaning fluid and the clothes from the set in the way described on the box. Now the glossy screen (that I like !) is not only a little bit dull but pattern-like structures are visible at the surface, especially when viewed from the side. Very annoying effect. It can't be wiped off with a dry cloth and looks like there was some kind of default screen coating (maybe applied unevenly) that became visible by the cleaning procedure. iKlear is the cleaning agent recommended by Apple Tech Support and I ordered it from Apple Online store as I did the display. Any known issues or similar problems with the LED ACD so far ?

2. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

i had the same thing happen to my LED display when I cleaned it with iKlear. A pattern of evenly spaced vertical stripes appeared on the bottom half of the screen and ran all the way across it. they were horrible at first, but after wiping down with some 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) the stripes disappeared for the most part. they are still faintly visible though.

3. hldomster macrumors member

You should probably email Apple and the manufacturers of iKlear if it's recommended for us with Apple Displays. Perhaps it was fine with the Matte screens but it isn't suitable for the glass ones, and Apple haven't changed their recommendation. That's a really bad problem though, I'd want a replacement glass panel for the screen. I clean my MB screen with water and kitchen towel and it does the job.

Anyway, how are your Cinema Displays? Pleased with the purchase, barring the problems with the cleaner.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I have had good luck with Monster Screencleaner. Used it on my LCD
    Sony Tv and my MB with good results. Comes with very nice microfiber cloth.

5. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

The LED Cinema Display is amazing. It is definitely well worth the money, I have thoroughly enjoyed using it and now feel deprived when I have to use the little bitty 15" screen on my laptop.

I know that the stripes/streaks weren't there when I got the display, because I made the Apple store open it before I left and let me examine it for flaws. I live about 2 hours from the store and didn't feel like driving back for dead pixels or dust.

And i think I will call Apple tomorrow about this issue, because I think somebody needs to know that the iKlear shouldn't be used on the LED Cinema Displays. The weird part is that the iKlear doesn't cause these streaks on the glass of my UMBP.

6. stevehp macrumors 6502

just found this post...has anything been done about this? Wish I would have known sooner.

I just cleaned my 24" LED Display with iKlear and it was an awful experience. Took me 20 minutes to the blotches off. I've used iKlear on everything from my unibody MBP to my iPhone - never had a problem until now.