Apple LED Cinema & ATI 4870

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Freis968, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I just received my Cinema and graphics card today. I cannot believe how silent that mammoth ATI card is. It is 100% silent. My ATI 3870 which I replaced with this one sounded like a jet engine. Totally shocked, surprised and happy.

My Apple Cinema I absolutely love but I do believe I am a victim of the "yellowing" effect, primarily on the mid to bottom right hand side. I have enclosed a screen shot of a blank Mail Page...tell me if you can see it.

As a side note, fortunately, the USB and mini displayport cables JUST reach to my Mac Pro located under the left side of my desk...so the extension cables I ordered from monoprice will have to go back.

All in all a great day, but the yellowing is bothering me and has taken some of the wind out of my sails.

I ordered my Cinema brand new from J&R off of Amazon.com for $715.00 plus $36 shipping if anyone is interested. Will I be able to take the Cinema for exchange to my local Apple store or have to send it back to J&R?

Attached Files:

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

A screen shot won't show anything. You need to take a picture of the actual screen. The yellowing issue is a physical problem and has nothing to do with the picture that is being displayed.

3. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Good point, my bad...here is a pic from my iPhone.

Attached Files:

4. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I just got back about 30mins from the Apple Store and the Apple Genius said that he saw the yellowing in the mid to lower right hand quadrant like I was seeing and said he would replace it. When I told him I bought it at J&R Music he said...WHOOPS! Well, you can give me 5-7 days to replace the screen here or contact J&R about a replacement. The heck with replacing a screen on a brand new item. It is going back to J&R for refund and I will just wait for the 27".

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

That is definitely some noticeable yellowing... This is why I prefer to buy from Apple directly. Chances are it was part of a bad batch that hadn't been sold yet (probably why it was so cheap). I find that with the Apple store, there is less likelihood of getting a faulty one. Sorry about your luck.

6. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Thanks skorpien for the sympathy.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Apple products can always be repaired by Apple, no matter where you bought them.

Since the yellow tinge is pretty obvious, simply take your Cinema to your local AASP and get it repaired / replaced.