loby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I am wondering if it is still good to buy a used Apple LED Cinema Display 24” or is it to old? How good do they hold up over the years?

I have a Late Mac mini 2009 that I still use and will use for some time. I use to have a Cinema Display 27” hooked up to it and loved it! I did not mine the glossy look. Sold it and bought a thunderbolt monitor to use with my Mac mini 2012.

I have tried using other monitors with the Mac mini 2009, but could not find a good display that works well with the Displayport. I have used an adapter to HDMI on a Dell U2414H monitor, but the picture and resolution does not look as good as a Cinema Display and text is a little grainy.

Any advice would be helpful, especially if you still use a Cinema Display 24”...or know better settings on a Dell U2414H to get a better picture...or know a good monitor still for the late Mac mini 2009?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I still have my 24" LED Cinema display. I bought it in 2009 and it still looks gorgeous. Obviously it's not retina, but the colours are vibrant and the backlighting is very even. Having said that, it hasn't had a huge amount of use - probably about 2 years' worth (if that makes any sense).
As for buying a used one - well the main factors are price and condition. If it's cheap enough, you know the history of it and you're confident it'll last a while, it's probably worth a punt.
Difficult to give any definitive advice as the used market is a real lottery unless you know the history of what you're buying. Hope you find what you're looking for!

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I am wondering if it is still good to buy a used Apple LED Cinema Display 24” or is it to old? How good do they hold up over the years?

I have a Late Mac mini 2009 that I still use and will use for some time. I use to have a Cinema Display 27” hooked up to it and loved it! I did not mine the glossy look. Sold it and bought a thunderbolt monitor to use with my Mac mini 2012.

I have tried using other monitors with the Mac mini 2009, but could not find a good display that works well with the Displayport. I have used an adapter to HDMI on a Dell U2414H monitor, but the picture and resolution does not look as good as a Cinema Display and text is a little grainy.

Any advice would be helpful, especially if you still use a Cinema Display 24”...or know better settings on a Dell U2414H to get a better picture...or know a good monitor still for the late Mac mini 2009?

Thanks!

My guess is the reason the Dell does not look as good is because it is 1080p where as the TB Display is IIRC 1440, the 27-inch Cimena display is 1440, and the 24-inch Cinema display was like 1200.

If you can find a 27-inch Cinema Display/Thunderbolt Display for under $300 (or a 24-inch Cinema display for under $220), it seems worth it. If not, then something like this is going to have more similar image quality to to the TBD IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.