Apple LED Cinema Display: 4:3 aka Pillarbox support?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OddHead, Jun 11, 2009.

1. OddHead macrumors member

Hello, I'm a new one here, from Italy. My question is simply: does the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display support 4:3 aspect ratio not stretched but pillarboxed resolutions? For example 1600x1200 (which would be 1:1 map) with black columns on each side, instead of regular 1920x1200, just as MacBooks (and any DVI display) do, and my old iMac G5 too.
    I'm thinking about buying a new MBP 13" (better size to bring it with me) along with a LED ACD for home use. I'll obviously use 1920x1200 about the 99% of the time, but i'd like to know from the ones who already own it. For example, can I use it playing games in 4:3 with black bars on each side?
    Thank you.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I've just checked it on my 15" MBP and it supports 4:3 resolutions both stretched and pillar boxed. It should also work on the 13" MacBook Pro as long as the machine supports those resolutions (no reason to think it won't)

3. OddHead thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, but I know it should work on the MBP 13" screen (Apple states it on its specs page), but I'm wondering if it will work on a 24" LED ACD connected to it.
    So, does the 24" Display support 4:3 non-streched resolutions?
    Or maybe the question is: does Mini DisplayPort support pillarboxing? DVI does, but for example the older VGA does not.

Can someone who owns a 24" ACD test it in 4:3, please? I guess it doesn't matter if it's connected to a MacBook, or a Mac mini, or a Mac Pro...

4. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

It works

I think what the OP meant is that he tried his 24" LED Cinema Display out using a 15" MBP hooked up to it. Just to confirm for you, I connected my 13" MacBook (Unibody, not Pro) to my LED Cinema Display just now, and 1600x1200 is pillarboxed.

5. OddHead thread starter macrumors member