Apple LED Cinema Display Alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maisey, Jul 18, 2009.

1. maisey macrumors newbie

Hi there, i hav a MBP(Late2008) 15", 2.53GHz, 4GB Ram etc etc.

I study music technology and deal with Logic Studio alot and the small screen is annoying when you're working on a large project with lots of tracks!

Im looking to invest in a larger screen to make working easier.

As lovely as the cinema display is, as with all apple products, it's a tad pricey!

Was wondering if there were any cheaper alternative. Obviously i want quality as well, would like to pay about £400 but willing to go up to £500 but no higher.

Thanks!

2. tingiminn macrumors newbie

My vote goes for HP's 24" LP2475w. It's near the top of your budget, around £460 and with the requisite mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (single link) for £15+p&p, it still comes in under £635. It uses a Phillips H-IPS panel. It's the same display technology in Apple's own 24" Cinema Display with I believe an older CFL backlight, a plethora of inputs, a large colour gamut and it pivots. And it's matte, though it's like looking into the sun straight out of the carton, it would require calibration or adjustment. 3 year warranty as well. It might be overkill, but there is no colour shift when you move your head and it's comfortable for long periods.

I apologise if my English is a bit dodgy as I don't use it much anymore.

3. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

As the previous poster wrote, the HP deal comes in at about under 600 pounds? I think you'd be very happy shelling out the money for that LED Cinema Display. However, if you went for a general VGA-interface monitor, you'd have to get that MiniDisplayPort -> VGA adapter from Apple, and that can be used with other projectors etc. as well.

4. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Remember, using your HE discount you can get the Apple Display for £530.

5. sitarmagic macrumors newbie

lots of options

hi there,

i would go for the LG 27 inch (model W2753V) about $ 450,- if you will buy a 30- 32 inch the price will be double ???

on the other hand if you want huge ,.. a 42 inch screen will go around $ 1600,- (HP-42 inch- modelnr 322AA) or a Viewsonic CD 4230 around $ 1420,-

good luck, cheers :)

6. maisey thread starter macrumors newbie

I like the look of the LG but i dont think its available in the UK with a limited google search. However, despite the lack of stunning appearance with the HP, it seems to have much better reviews!

Im new to the idea of dual screening etc. I notice that with the apple screen you can close the lid and still use the screen. Is this possible with any screen? Or is it something that the apple screen only offers, like the fact it can charge your laptop too!