Apple LED Cinema Display anyone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chelseasian, Nov 5, 2008.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi!

Has anyone purchased this yet? What is your review of it?

I have a mac pro and I am thinking about getting it as a Christmas gift to myself this year :)

2. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that it will only work on the new NoteBooks?

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Only works on the new MacBooks :(

4. isethx macrumors regular

i saw one in store a few weeks ago on display and it was right next to a 30 inch display and i wasn't expecting much but wow it was bright and vibrate and NO glare. the 30 inch looked washed out. even the new glossy notebooks have some glare but nothing like old glossy ones surprisingly.

so yeah while it is expensive and only for the new notebooks it is pretty cool becasue

- mini display port
    - 3 USB ports in the back of it
    - magsafe and it charges your notebook while it is plugged in
    - isight, mic, and speakers!

so hey if you've got an extra $900 laying around.... it's pretty cool!

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

. . . for now.

I assume new products might be able to use it, such as, say, a mini.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

7. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular

chelseasian

Bollocks! :( I was looking forward to it to replace my still functioning 23" ACD. Well I should look at the 30" instead.

8. funkyc macrumors regular

funkyc

x2
    i'm sure they were smart and figured that ppl would want to use it with older products too?
    *edit* but u never know, it is apple and they're not always looking out to save their customers' wallets!

9. pikapikoo37 macrumors newbie

but can it support older macbooks? or only the late 2008 models? If i get the adapter can it run too?

Cheers

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Have you read about the product on Apple.com?

Right now, the only info is that it ships with this cable, and the mini-displayport adapter on it won't work on older MacBooks. There is no information about an adapter to make it work with older MacBooks.

[​IMG]

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm selling my 2007 iMac and I'm going to get one of these to use with my new MacBook. It will be nice to get back to having just one computer with all my data on it again and it will be doubly nice to get such a high resolution.

I'm currently using the MacBook as my primary computer without an external monitor, which isn't as comfortable as I'd hoped. I really want to see this new display on sale soon so that I can get my hands on it!

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

it really makes the 30" look washed out?? :eek: damn. I wonder what panel they're using then..must be phenomenal..

13. akm3 macrumors 68020

And who doesn't?!

14. akm3 macrumors 68020

I just realized that on a Macbook Air, you'd have to split the cable with power on the left and usb/display port on the right...I was wondering why they made the split so long.

15. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, that adapter will allow the new MacBooks w/ mini-DisplayPort run the 30" Cinema Displays, but I don't think it'll help any with the old MacBooks running on the new 24" LED Cinema Display. :confused:

17. akm3 macrumors 68020

WHAT new 24" LED Cinema Display? It's complete vaporware.

I'm sure by the time they finally ship it, they will also have adapters for it.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Maybe s/he wanted to hook their old Mac up to the demo 24" LED Cinema display sitting at their local Apple store? :rolleyes: :D

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think when you say DisplayPort you're meaning to say Mini DisplayPort. :confused:

The only Mini DisplayPort adapters I've seen are the DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA ones that Apple sells.

Have you seen a female-to-female Mini DisplayPort adapter (or a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter)? There are a lot of threads around with people looking for an HDMI one.

I'd imagine that if Apple's not licensing the Mini DisplayPort connector that these adapters will eventually be made, but I haven't seen them around yet.

20. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Who knows if the final production LED Display will even allow a DVI signal as a valid input signal? No one knows yet.

DispayPort and MiniDisplayPort carry a total different signal than DVI/HDMI.
    Although DisplayPort interface and cables can carry an DVI/HDMI signal, it can also carry a totally different DisplayPort signal.

The new Macbooks/MBP graphics cards can output a DisplayPort signal, a DVI/HDMI signal, or an analog VGA signal. The MB/MBP actually use a DVI signal to connect to their built-in display.

That does not mean that the new LED Cinema Display can accept all of these signals.
    There is no way (currently) to convert a DVI signal (from an older Mac) to a DisplayPort signal either.

In all likelihood the LED Cinema Display will probably only accept the DisplayPort signal, as that would require less hardware (cost) in building them and Apple can sell more new MB/MBPs.

From wikipedia: for DisplayPort
    "Designed to support internal chip-to-chip communication
    Can drive display panels directly, eliminating control circuits and allowing for cheaper and slimmer displays"

Hence no need for DVI/HDMI hardware components.

There are different chips and pins in the DisplayPort/VGA, DisplayPort/DVI, DisplayPort/Dual-Link DVI adaptors. These tell the graphics cards which signal to output.

This is similar to the composite and component adaptors for iPods, Touches, and iPhones. There are chips in those dock cables which tell the device which signal to output, and on which pins.

Someone has already tried the MiniDisplayPort/DVI attached to a DVI/VGA and it didn't work, even though they fit together.

So Aristobrat, I doubt these new LED Cinema Displays will be backward compatible, Apple is always moving forward like this.
    I give it a 1% chance these will work with old Macs.
    But we don't know yet.

21. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I think this led display is a big waste of money, and I would much rather have something from dell with more inputs.

22. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

If someone finds a way of connecting these to a Mac Pro, I'll have 2 of them on order quicker than you can say 'boo'

23. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I expect we'll see video cards with displayport soon for the Mac Pro, along with a mini-to-full displayport adapter from Apple.

24. chriscamp macrumors newbie

The LED Cinema Display was updated in the store this afternoon from shipping in "November" to show 7-10 day shipping for the US and 2-3 weeks for Canada.... still can't actually purchase one though. Chris

25. gmarius macrumors newbie

gmarius

Getting rid of old stock?

Seems as though the lack of an adapter ready-and-waiting for the majority of the mac-using-world might be related to concerns of re-sellers wanting to clear existing inventory.

**Hoping** a solution is produced in the not too distant future - the new monitors ROCK and my early 2008 macbook pro is just not complete without one. :)