Apple LED Cinema Display + MB/MBP Temperature

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by djiashi, Dec 15, 2008.

1. djiashi macrumors newbie

Hi, first post and have been reading everyone's excitement regarding the new displays.

I received my new Apple LCD today and observed a rather disturbing matter. Without connecting to the display, my MBP (2.8ghz)'s CPU temperature runs an average of mid-50 degrees celcius.

Once connected to the display, the CPU temperatures goes up to a minimum of 70 degrees and averaging high 80s! Gone past 90 degrees quite often as well.

All these with the higher performance graphics card and the following applications running - Firefox, Word, Excel, iPhone, iChat (Video chatting), iTunes (music playing) and Adium.

Even if i close any of those applications, my mbp's temperature is still going nuts and refuses to go down.

I have also tried SMCFanControl and it didn't help with the temperature.

Anyone here have the same issue? Can everyone please post their tempereature. And lastly, Should I get a replacement for my MBP?

Thanks in advance!

2. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

Don't you think it's probably just the extra heat caused by running your desktop at 1920x1200?

I'd like to hear about the heat when running it in clamshell mode.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the MBP hasnt been designed THAT well when running in clamshell mode, unfortunately. the extra heat from the GPU also wouldnt help.

i would check out Activity Monitor and see what applications are doing the damage and quit them if necessary.

if you dont like the heat, dont use it in clamshell mode.

no, do not get a replacement for your MBP, because there is nothing wrong with it!

4. djiashi thread starter macrumors newbie

i forgot to add yes i was running on clamshell mode whenever i connect to the display. wil try without clamshell mode to see how it goes

5. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Having a raised support for MB/P helps with air circulation also... and yes, I would definitely avoid clamshell mode, I too have tried and ended up blossoming my MBP. Besides, that little 15.5" extra real estate screen helps when multi-tasking...

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I just bought the 24" led acd today and have been using it with my 2.53ghz unibody mbp for 6+ hours and the 24" acd is just warm to touch and the mbp has the same temperature as if it wasnt connected to an external display.

This display is amazing...

7. Roadking macrumors 6502

I would like one but I wish it was backwards compatible with some of the older laptops. It would work great with my new macbook but it won't with my macbook pro. Or have they come out with an adapter yet?

8. djiashi thread starter macrumors newbie

i rang up apple today and spoke to the tech. i was told to do the Apple Hardware Test and twice, the test froze at 1 hour 48 minutes.

Doing my third test now after a pram + smc reset and the tech has already noted that i might have problem with my mbp and therefore, an exchange would be organised with the sales department tomorrow if this third test is no good.