Apple LED Cinema Display stuck on 640 x 480

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steveOooo, Sep 17, 2009.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Just turned my com from sleep and im greeted to a 640 x 480 uber low res display!

it's the second 24" ACD ive had as the first had a crack in in the screen. I have tried plugging into a single wall outlet, restarting, shutting down the mbp - still the same 640x 480 - really poor show on this apple product, from my personal experience.

What is the definitive solution?

Ive had it 2 days - the cracked one worked fine for 4 days and that was running of the exact same plug / socket.

Another thread on ASupport discussions - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9935534

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

System Preferences >> Displays >> Resolutions.

3. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

duh never thought of that...

please read the link to apple support - 640x480 is the only resolution available.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Then return it. There's no reason to be rude here.

Sorry for trying to help.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you can't find a solution, I don't think it's worth your time to troubleshoot something that Apple can fix by giving you a replacement.

6. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry about that -

really frustrating to have to get a third display - third time lucky?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Maybe. I tried to search for the problem but doesn't seem to be a problem many people seem to be having. I'd just go back to Apple and just get a replacement.

8. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeh i have no doubt ill get a replacement - it just happened when i pressed a key on the usb keyboard to wake from sleep -

oh well,

ACD No. 3 on its way!

9. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have decided to get a refund for it and get the HP LP2475W 24 inch TFT Widescreen Monitor as ive lost confidence in the ACD lasting. The hp comes with 3 year warranty and is £148 cheaper than the apple, although i will buy some speakers for it

10. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

refund / return in the works - having spent a good 50 mins on teh phone to apple! how many times do you want me to reset 'detect display' and disconnect the mini-display port?

oh well, hopefully the HP LP2475W will be a bit more solid - im looking forward to the ant glare - only bummer, have to set brightness by fiddiling with on display buttons, + hook it up to ext. speakers, which aint no bad thing, espech when its £148 cheaper!

11. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple Cinema Display Led 24 Stuck In 640x480 Video

Today i called apple, oh boy! guy was quite rude, think he assumed he was talking to someone who didnt know where system prefs>display was! after 20 mins of 'unplug mini display port' select resolution... he put me thru to online who i had to remind twice i wanted a refund!

well heres a rather crap video of me playing around with the ACD - did it on my camera phone, quite poo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7roskvPWQw

12. Betelgeuse macrumors member

As with RAM, I'll never understand why people buy displays from Apple. They make very nice displays, but they are so overpriced compared to what you can get from other manufacturers.

13. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Well, the BTO RAM is "overpriced" only because you have to pay people to install it for you...:rolleyes:

14. Betelgeuse macrumors member

. . . and given how labor-intensive that is, I can understand the expense. :)

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Well, keep in mind that they do have to pay for both the old and the new memory modules, too. The old modules can't just disappear.:)

16. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

but they just stick the used ram in a refurbed mac? and stil make a profit

I wouldnt say the ACD is over priced - if you have a mbp its really good but having had two faulty units, i feel like theyve skimped on QC - I think the hp will be good, ugly but good, i dont need eyesight, mic, and not too bothered at loosing the built in speakers as ill hoo up a 5.1 speaker system that cost me £10 from the rubbish tip!

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

That is a weird problem i have one and mine works flawlessly i can switch between various configs with ease

I do agree that their displays are very overpriced and i would never buy one at retail price but for what you get (LED backlight, IPS panel, iSight, Speakers) at the time Apple introd it...it wasn't a bad deal

18. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Please find another S-IPS + LED backlight screen for cheaper. I don't think another even exists..

19. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Try trashing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist and zapping PRAM (restart hold down command option p r) a few times.

20. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

too late.. getting the hp next week and the ACD is going back - + £150 back!

21. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

You might have the same issue with the HP since it still uses the MDP...

22. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it uses 'Display Port' not 'Mini-Display Port' i think the only dif is MDP carries audio as well as video

23. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

No I meant you'll still need to use the MDP out on the laptop..

24. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

good point.

The apple care guy said it was an issue with the display, not the mbp -

i have used a acer monito (mdp-vga)

used a ACD for 4days no probs

and the most recent acd - worked fine for 1 day -

fingers x - if i do get problems, ill have to get the mbp looked at - ill guess ill find out this week!