Apple LED Cinema Display with HomeBrew PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ShiggyMiyamoto, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Hey all. I don't know where else to post this, so I'll post it here. I plan on building a homebrew PC with these parts whenever I get the money:

http://bit.ly/1gn8et

and I was wondering would this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB382LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4NTYwNjk and this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTI1MDM3NTM work with the parts I selected for the build?

The video card I selected there has two DVI ports, so I thought that the LED 24" would work since the Displayport to Dual-Link DVI would then (in theory) allow me to connect the 24" LED to the two DVIs on the GPU on my proposed homebrew PC. If not, what about the older, non LED 30" Cinema Display that's also Dual-Link DVI? I know I'd lose a lot of the features offered with the 24" LED, but I'd gain a huge screen, with a ton of real estate.

Also, if you're wondering what I'd be doing with an i7, then I'd say that I want something to replace this MacBook as it's getting older (got it in 2007... not that old I know, but soon it will be). I want to dabble in video editing that my MacBook cannot do, watch high def video content, etc. I want a good computer. The parts there, at least in my mind, equal that of a Mac Pro, for thousands of dollars less.

Lastly, don't tell me to "just get an iMac". I'm well aware that the CTO/BTO iMac has an i7 in it and all, but I want to build a computer. I've never done it before, and I think it'd be fun to do. Don't tell me to go i5 vs i7.. I've got my heart/mind set on the i7, since it's the most logical roadmap to me.

Let me know if this idea can work,
    Thanks,
    ShiggyMiyamoto

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can't connect the 24" to a DVI port without something like this: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html

Considering what other options you have on displays for $1,100 it may be worth considering another 24". The 30" will work fine with any recent PC card, however it is outdated and expensive compared to ones available by other companies.

3. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Thanks for the reply. That accessory you posted there, it doesn't seem to do Dual-Link DVI. Are there any other adapters to your knowledge that can do what I'd like?

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

If you want to get the Apple LED 24 screen, get a video card with a mini-displayport. Which I don't think exists for PCs yet, but I'm not up on the latest video cards. Otherwise, look for a different screen that isn't quite as pricey. The dual DVI adapter that you linked to works from a new Apple computers display port to a DVI monitor. It won't work in the other direction.

5. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Ah. Okay. Thanks. = )

6. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Just to clarify: the apple adapter has a female DVI and a male mini display port, so it won't have the pins to attach to your DVI video card, or the hole for the apple display cable to go into. Which is why Umbongo linked you to the converter. It's pricey, but it's really the only way to go if you want a DVI video card and the Apple LED screen. And it'll do up to 1920x1200 resolution, which is what the 24 inch is.

7. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Thank you for that clarification. My only problem with converters is lag. Is there any lag to your knowledge with that particular converter?

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I personally don't have experience with anything like this. Here's a review (linked on the Atlona page) from barefeats which to my knowledge is relatively unbiased. Although the review is with a MacPro, I'd bet the converter doesn't care what OS or hardware you're running. I'm sure you could google some more reviews. Here's another option which was at the bottom of the barefeats review.

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

There are adapters that can connect the ACD to a regular DisplayPort output. They are passive adapters, so they're cheap and don't have performance issues. OP, if you want an ACD with a PC, get a DisplayPort video card. Anything else and you are just setting yourself up for headaches.

10. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Yeah.. I looked at DisplayPort equipped video cards. They're up the butt expensive based on my budget. I'd go for it if I had the money. I could be getting a job at a local Target store, so let's see what happens with that. I hope as well to be getting the parts listed for Xmas, but I dunno what's gonna happen with that either....

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If you don't mind a cost increase of a few sandwiches, this could do the trick:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150448

You get DX11 support and less power consumption as well.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

13. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Haha while both of those are great, I'd prefer something with an Nvidia chipset, since I've heard that ATI is troublesome drivers-wise for Linux OSes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I found this one that I'll add to my cart for the order for whenever I get it all:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125301

That has all positive reviews, and I know that OS X likes Radeons as Apple has used and still uses them for their current Mac Pro offerings. It has a DVI port as well, with a DVI to VGA adaptor, so I can still use my 19" VGA CRT whilst I earn the $800 or so for the 24" LED Cinema Display.