Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferndog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Do you guys know the release date for the Apple LED Cinema Display, The apple site says November , ..

Thanks

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I called them today, they don't know.

They haven't said, no one knows yet.

'Early November' is all that is known.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
So that would mean any day? Because on my calendar it is early November.

That's what I'm taking it to mean, but it is really WEIRD that no one knows and you can't pre-order it. How do they even know they don't already have enough made if they aren't allowing pre-orders?

When I asked the rep "Why are they being so secret about the ship date?" he replied "It's Apple. We are secretive about everything."

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
That's what I'm taking it to mean, but it is really WEIRD that no one knows and you can't pre-order it. How do they even know they don't already have enough made if they aren't allowing pre-orders?

When I asked the rep "Why are they being so secret about the ship date?" he replied "It's Apple. We are secretive about everything."

It gets to the point where there to secretive and restrictive.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
they've got one at the applestore

Saw one at the OKC applestore. It is GORGEOUS! Unfortunately, I've already got adequate 21 and 22 inch LCDs, or I would have bought one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple came up with new features for it using the display port technology soon.

chriscamp

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
They have had one at the Vancouver Apple store for a couple weeks. One of the staff told me it was a pre-release version and they have not been told when it will actually be available for sale. I have seen a November 16th date on a couple forums but I think that is rumor only. I am hoping that next week will see it available for ordering at least. C

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
I saw one today at the Atlanta-Perimeter Mall Apple Store and it is sweet! although I did not ask if they had any for sale.

I have a problem justifying $900 for something that should be priced at half that amount, and well OK, maybe even 2/3 the amount ($600) because it's Apple and that's what they do but $900? That's a tough pill to swallow....but I'm considering swallowing it.

3 Extra USB ports is nice but adding a built in memory card reader as opposed to cheap speakers would have been more usefull.

It was definitely more vibrant than the 23" ACD next to it

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I have a problem justifying $900 for something that should be priced at half that amount, and well OK, maybe even 2/3 the amount ($600) because it's Apple and that's what they do but $900? That's a tough pill to swallow....but I'm considering swallowing it.
If it makes you feel any better about the price, they're charging the same price ($899) for the 23" Cinema Display that doesn't have an iSight, speakers, or charge your MacBook. :D

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
3 Extra USB ports is nice but adding a built in memory card reader as opposed to cheap speakers would have been more usefull.

I disagree completely. I don't see why you'd want a memory card reader built into the monitor, especially when you can just get a USB adapter which does this in a nice compact package. How often do you use a memory card reader?

The reason I'm so interested in this is because it DOES have speakers. That's one thing that I had been praying Apple would add to its displays because there really is no reason not to include them. It keeps my desk so much more tidy and it means I don't need to have an extra item plugged in to my already crowded power strip.

And it's a massive bonus that the magsafe is included too. I'm now totally waiting for orders to be opened and I'm about to put my 20" iMac on eBay.

chriscamp

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
I have a problem justifying $900 for something that should be priced at half that amount, and well OK, maybe even 2/3 the amount ($600) because it's Apple and that's what they do but $900? That's a tough pill to swallow....but I'm considering swallowing it.it

The LED CD is pretty good deal considering the LED backlight and the features such as the iSight. For comparison, the Samsung XL24 LED Backlit Monitor was $2500 when it was released late last year and is still priced at about $2100. Hopefully the new CD will have the same color reproduction and quality the Samsung has - it was hard to get a good idea when I saw it in the apple store here.

Anoi

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
Is there any chance that there will be an adapter so i can use my original spec MacBook with one of these?

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
I saw one today at the Atlanta-Perimeter Mall Apple Store and it is sweet! although I did not ask if they had any for sale.

It was definitely more vibrant than the 23" ACD next to it

It's an S-IPS screen. Please TRY and find a similar one before complaining about the price.:rolleyes:

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
It's an S-IPS screen. Please TRY and find a similar one before complaining about the price.:rolleyes:

The average consumer is so trained to look at specs that are irrelevant (THIS one has a 100,000:1 contrast ratio versus the one with a 90,000:1 contrast...it is MUCH better) without realizing the manufacturers are just making up the numbers anyway.

It is very difficult to train folks on what the legitimate product differences are when they are so focused on these manipulative specs.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
The average consumer is so trained to look at specs that are irrelevant (THIS one has a 100,000:1 contrast ratio versus the one with a 90,000:1 contrast...it is MUCH better) without realizing the manufacturers are just making up the numbers anyway.

It is very difficult to train folks on what the legitimate product differences are when they are so focused on these manipulative specs.

Yeah a good sign is viewing angles, however a lot of manufacturers stopped specifying them...shady

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
I disagree completely. I don't see why you'd want a memory card reader built into the monitor, especially when you can just get a USB adapter which does this in a nice compact package. How often do you use a memory card reader?

The reason I'm so interested in this is because it DOES have speakers. That's one thing that I had been praying Apple would add to its displays because there really is no reason not to include them. It keeps my desk so much more tidy and it means I don't need to have an extra item plugged in to my already crowded power strip.

And it's a massive bonus that the magsafe is included too. I'm now totally waiting for orders to be opened and I'm about to put my 20" iMac on eBay.

I'd agree with you completely if Apple put really good speakers in it, the ones I heard today were OK but I would not give up my HK Soundsticks for them.

+1 on the Magsafe

Personally I have a memory card reader hooked to a USB hub, it would save me a USB port to have had it built in to the monitor (if I choose to buy one) HP put one in their new 25.5" display along with 4 USB ports. My main point is why not offer more options/features if you are going to charge such a high premium? we all place different values on things I guess.

I went and looked at the new LED ACD again at the Atlanta-Lenox Square Apple Store this evening and it is still pretty impressive upon further review but they do not have them in stock and nobody could give me any information as to when they will be.

Damn! too bad my Samsung T260HD is only two months old (and after my purchase of a HueyPRO, looking better than ever) or I'd probably buy the new ACD when it becomes available.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Just checked the Apple online store and it now says shipping 7-10 days but there's no way to order it yet.

UPDATE: I called in and placed an order...they just didn't have it set up to where you could order online yet. Now it's back to "ships November" for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.