Apple LED Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PolySciSurfer, Jun 7, 2009.

1. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Hey there everyone. So I am getting a new macbook this week and I want to also buy the Apple LED Cinema display. But before I do, I have a few questions...

1. Will graphic performance be hindered when plugged into the display? I want to play games on my macbook (War Craft three and similar) and view the games using my beautiful Apple LED Cinema display, but this defeats the purpose if the graphics are going to be slower because they have to play the game and drive the display.

2. I want to plug in a USB WD My Book external HD to the back of the display. Will the HD be always running in this configuration? How would this effect the HD?

3. Does the macbook go into sleep mode when using an external mouse and keyboard (via blue tooth) while plugged into the ACD? Can I use both the apple blue tooth keyboard and mouse at the same time using the macbook internal blue tooth module? Or does it only allow one peripheral at a time?

4. Anybody currently using this configuration or similar? Does the macbook run hotter or slower while plugged into the display?

5. When the ACD is not plugged into my macbook, do I have to unplug the display, or does it "sleep?" I want to have my printer and my book external hd plugged in to the back of the display via USB 24/7. Would this be a problem if the display is left plugged in all the time? Does the printer appear "On" and the HD appear "On" even when the macbook is not plugged into the display?

6. If I use some USB powered speakers, and they are plugged into the back of the display, will the internal display speakers simply not turn on while music is playing, or will they also play sound along with the plugged in speakers? What if the speakers are plugged into the macbook via 3.5mm jack, how does that effect the internal display speakers?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I don't want to drop all this cash without knowing what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance everyone! :D

2. wolfie macrumors regular

nice post, i got to say im curious to the answers to these too.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

1) Yes. Instead of driving the game at the MacBook's resolution, it'll be pushing the higher 1920x1200 resolution of the ACD. More pixels = less performance, particularly on the 9400M.

2) It'll work fine, but make sure to eject it before you 'undock' your MacBook.

3) The MacBook won't go to sleep. You can use it in two modes - open, or clamshell. Open means you'll have an image on both screens and can use both in extended desktop mode. Clamshell is when you close the lid and then wake the Mac up with an input from the mouse or keyboard - you'll then get a picture on the external screen only, but the MacBook will be running. You can use bluetooth keyboard and mouse at the same time, but I'd warn you that the Mighty Mouse is rubbish.

4) Runs about the same temps, give or take. Nothing to worry about.

5) You can leave everything plugged in, the display will "sleep" (ie: no picture, backlights off). The HD and printer will probably still have power, but somebody else will be able to tell you that for sure.

6) You should be able to simply select your audio output from within System Preferences so you get audio out of the USB speakers only. If you use the 3.5mm jack, that'll take priority. Same principle though, just select the ones you want to use.

4. wolfie macrumors regular

anyone with experience care to post roughly how substantial the hit the performace will be when its being driven by the led 24 inch?

thankyou.

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Depends on the age of the game, how graphically intensive it is etc etc. The easy work around is to simply run the game at the MacBook's internal resolution and full screen it on the ACD, essentially running it at less than native resolution. For games this works well, and is pretty common when trying to balance performance against quality.

2D applications (ie: normal OS X operating) will make see no difference.