Apple LED Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bigsy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Bigsy macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 15-inch MacBook Pro, and was thinking about getting a Apple Display to connect it to for watching DVDs and etc. on.

However, would it be possible to use it as a tv?

Googling this resulted in loads of stuff about DVI ports and the like I didn't really understand so just wondering if somebody would please explain whether this was possible or not?

Thanks in advance

2. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Yes, I think all (if not all, then most) LCD's and plasma's have dvi/hdmi/vga inputs that will allow you to connect to the tv (with the proper adapter) as easy as it is to hook up a dvd player to the tv.

3. Bigsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, and what sort of adapter would i need? I'm clueless :p

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Using the LED Display as a TV? For what watching cable TV? I don't think that would be possible. You can hook your laptop to the display and playback videos with it.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The Apple Cinema Display only has Mini DisplayPort so you won't be able to connect anything else.

Check out EyeTV - really good TV tuners for your Mac and the software is fantastic. Also a recorder too.

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I'd look at alternatives to the cinema display. Its very limited in the number of uses it has and the glassy screen is more annoying on the desktop monitor than the laptops imo.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's not at ALL what he's asking. You can't connect a Cinema Display to anything but a Mac, and you CAN'T connect one to a TV.

8. Bigsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thank you everyone for replying!

But, can I use Eye TV on my MBP and then connect it to the display and watch it on that?

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Yes.. anything that appears on your MacBook Pro will appear on the display. It is just an external monitor! Common sense.....!

10. Bigsy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm SO sorry that I'm not the most tech-savvy person and that I wanted to check some things before spending £700 on new stuff.

11. Bigsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, can i connect a separate wireless keyboard and mighty mouse and use them with the display?

12. akm3 macrumors 68020

Nothing related to computers is 'common sense'. Don't be elitist.

To answer your question. You can choose to either have the monitor mirror what is on your Macbook, you can have it extend your display so you have two displays one on the macbook and one on the monitor, or you can close the lid of the macbook and have it display ONLY on the external monitor. This will be true for any external monitor, not just the Apple display.

Keep in mind the Apple display has a connector that will only work with Apple laptops at this time, no other computers can use it. Also, you must have a unibody style macbook with Mini DisplayPort to use it.

If you get a different external monitor (which can save you some money) you will require an adapter or dongle to get a picture on it.

I hope this helped!

13. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yes, and the monitor has a built in USB hub to help do this. You'll plug your keyboard and mouse into the monitor, then from the monitor are three cables, power, usb and mini-displayport. Once connected, your external keyboard and mouse will control your computer.

Those also don't have to be apple keyboard or mice; essentially any USB device will work.

I hope this was helpful,

-Allen

14. Bigsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I bought one earlier this year (as in May 2009) so am I right in thinking this is the newest one? A little confused seeing as all of the ports on the side of mine don't match those on this one. Which port is the Mini Display Port?

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

If it an aluminium macbook from earlier this year, you are good to go.

They just did an update turning unibody macbooks into macbook pros, and changed the ports around slightly,
    The minidisplay port port is a rectangle with the lower two ends rounded off, and the symbol looks like this |[]|

I hope that helps!

16. Bigsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, yeah it's cool i have that :)

Only £635 to go :D

Thanks everyone for your help!

17. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Just in case you are - there's student discounts available through Apple.

Also, check the refurbished store, might get a good deal on the display (save £50 or so).

18. Bigsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply but I checked the refurb pages on the apple store already and there were no displays available.

Also, could I use the display for playing games? I appreciate that my video card might not be able to drive both displays simultaneously but if I close my MBP, is that possible?

19. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yes BUT: the g9400 isn't going to set any records and that resolution is pretty high. So, latest/greatest games won't give too good of an experience.