Apple LED Display setting up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GeekOFComedy, May 19, 2010.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Hello folks, I want to upgrade to a apple LED 24" Display or if apple invents a 27" LED one and I want to hook it up to both my MacBookPro 13" And my gaming PC. I know i'll need a KVM but need assurance it will work with all the converters. Can the 3 Apple cables be split up, video, Power ,and usb as I will use Power and USB on the Laptop, I'll need to go from display port to dvi, then dvi to to the KVM video switch box (Whats the TREDNET TK207K KVM switch like) Then from one of then dvi to dvi on my gaming pc and on the other dvi port all the way upto my macbook pro mini display port. Can it be done because I know too many converters will not work :eek: I drew out a diagram, look at start here and just follow the red cable, the first red cable at laptop plugged in is mag safe the 3rd red one was usb then the middle once was bent back. Note i will be using converters to dvi etc but thats the main diagram

Attached Files:

2. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not worth it. Even if it would work, you've got so many converters in there you could pay for a second display just for the PC. I'd say go get a nice ViewSonic or Dell display (depending on the quality you want), and hook that up instead. Only one adaptor needed (Mini DisplayPort to DVI to go into the laptop), and should be a nice beautiful display.

jW

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Should work fine. DVI/HDMI/Displayport are just different shaped plugs, the video is the same. I suggest you be sure to see if your KVM and adapters support HDCP (the DRM handshake) however.

5. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know the KVM works like a switch or a train track when you flick the switch the two part flicks to a or b. Does it have to support HDCP if I don't watch DRM content on it, and I have another display but prefer the apple 24" as it's perfect size

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-GeekOFComedy

It's not the content that HDCP watches, but the connection. I'll trip my HDMI of my home entertainment center if I hit the "jump to previous channel" twice too fast.

It's a finicky guy.

I'm beginning to think Mal's idea is best, what you are asking is just too kudgy, and no guarantee it'll work.

It reminds me of this quote: "Sure you can go in through your A** to scratch your nose, but it's dirty, messy, smelly, and extremely uncomfortable.""