Apple LED Monitor + Macbook Pro, question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitefang, Mar 21, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

I saw that you can connect the Apple LED Monitor and the Macbook Pro and that the monitor has a power adapter for the MBP.

Can I also plugin my keyboard and mouse to the Apple LED Monitor? Basically, I want to have a dock station.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

From http://www.apple.com/displays/features.html

On the back of the display, you’ll find three self-powered USB ports. You enable them — along with the built-in iSight camera, microphone, and speakers — the moment you plug the USB connector into your new Mini DisplayPort-enabled Mac, including the MacBook family as well as the new Mac Pro, Mac mini, and iMac. Connect a printer, camera, iPod, iPhone, whatever you like. And they can stay connected, even if you grab your MacBook and go.

[​IMG]

I would say yes. And I do.

3. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/displays/features.html

3 USB hubs on the back, so yes. You could even get a bluetooth/wireless keyboard/mouse and avoid any USBs. Planning to use the display as a "docking station" is smart.

4. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I wish it used the mini-display port itself instead of having an extra USB cable plugged in. Frequently disconnecting/connecting to the USB cable isn't good.

5. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I use the bluetooth Apple Keyboard & Mice.

[​IMG]

Our garage floor view.

[​IMG]

This is how it feels...

[​IMG]

6. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice setup.
    Another question, when I dock, I usually want to use one screen. So, everytime I dock, do I have to manually set the screen I want to use and the screen resolution?

7. wil49 macrumors member

When you plug the display in initially you can adjust the resolution to your desire then everytime you dock it will be the same.

You can even move your dock onto the 24" and use it as the main screen, you can do that in -displays - arrangement.

Also if you purchase applecare it will cover the display as well.

8. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

You get this screen when you go to [System preferences] > [Displays] > [Arrangement] =

[​IMG]

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Which is fine if you have the 17" MacBook Pro because they both share the same resolution. Otherwise, Mirroring is not a good idea.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i have a 15" and it woks just fine with mirroring.

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

So instead of running your 24" Cinema Display at the native 1920x1200 resolution, you're running it at 1440x900? :eek:

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

no its running at 1920x1200. huh i see what your saying tho. well frick me i dont know what im doing then. it just worked when i plugged it in.

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Well if you are running your ACD at 1920x1200, then you aren't using mirroring at all. You'll have your MacBook Pro set as the secondary display (if the Dock appears on your ACD) or as the primary display if the Dock appears on your MacBook Pro's screen.

Mirroring is where the same is on both screens - hence why they must both be running the same resolution, and because the 15" MacBook Pro can only go up to 1440x900, mirroring isn't a good idea.

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea im using the ASD as the primary display. i dont know what i was talking about before haha:eek:

16. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I configure my mac so that whenever I dock it, it automatically goes into single monitor mode and chooses the external LED screen? As soon as I undock it, it should switch back to the laptop LED screen.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well as long as it's in clamshell mode and when you plug it in, it wakes up in clamshell mode with an external keyboard and mouse.