Apple LED Thunderbolt Display 27 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wek, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Wek macrumors member

Wek

Hi

I have my loved MacBook Pro. I'm looking for a screen to attach it to, to get some more screen estate.

This is the only Apple screen I can find? and it seems a little dated? But again, it do look amazing :)

Do any know if Apple have plans for a future release of an updated version? and when?

What do people think about this one? :) it should be a fine, high quality screen for me? :)

Thanks

https://www.komplett.dk/apple-led-thunderbolt-display-27/756840

2. chogue23 macrumors member

That screen would be great and would serve all your needs, but I personally think that Apple branded monitors are not worth the price. You can get any monitor and use an adapter to get it to play nicely with your Mac. A mini-Display port(thunderbolt) to HDMI adapter is cheap, and any 1080p display will serve you nicely and be easier on your pocketbook

3. Wek thread starter macrumors member

Wek

Thanks :) but I love Apple design, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for it.

This one have a number called MC914ZE/B and I have seen other identical screens with other numbers, do you know what the difference is?

I have read that the screen gets really hot, is that a problem?

4. chogue23 macrumors member

The different model numbers appear to be the different countries that they were released in, so the difference might be power requirements. Make sure you get the model that has the correct power cord for your region!

As for the heat, I cannot reply to that firsthand, but I know that the screens on the iMac tend to get hot, but the only thing with that is make sure that it is not pushed up against the back of a desk and can get air behind it. Some heat is normal with use, but it shouldn't get too hot to touch.

5. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

If you're set on Apple-design the cinema display is the only option. I'd personally go for a newer display, Asus PB278Q etc and a Belkin/Elgato hub.

You get a better (IMO) screen, more modern IO options, and still have the ability to daisy chain displays if you buy another hub/display later on. Shopping around you can grab that pairing for cheaper than an Apple display as well.

I'm not 100% sure they're going to update the Apple displays, go on their new Mac Pro page and they're not even advertising the display, using a Sharp display instead. It's a shame because design wise they're beautiful, but considering the IO and the age of the display tech that's inferior in comparison to the newer standard iMac display panels, it's just such a poor value.

6. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Depends on what your needs are. I recently decided to give one a try.

For pure desktop work (screen real estate, photo editing and whatnot), it's a truly lovely screen, and I could definitely live with it if that was all I did.

If you play games, however, I wouldn't recommend it:
    1) The Thunderbolt display is too slow to keep up with fast action: I got shadow images just from looking around normally in the cockpit in the IL-2 flight sim; spinning around fast in a first person shooter can't look good, in other words.
    2) Even a MacBook Pro will have to work hard to render most games in 2560x1440. I simply don't believe it's good for the longevity of a computer to sound like that for several hours on end.
    3) If you decide to let the computer work less hard, a scaled graphics mode on a 27" display looks really bad.

So if you've got the money to get one of these screens from a store with a decent return policy, go ahead and try it out. If you find it suits your needs, I don't think you'll go wrong with it.

7. Wek thread starter macrumors member

Wek

I have bought it, thanks for all of your answers.

I use it for pure desktop work and i LOVE it.... :) such a great looking screen.