Apple let suppliers reduce accuracy of Face ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I can’t see any truth behind this.

They have tied Apple Pay and various other use cases into Face ID, that it will have to be as secure as they have stated.

I’ve found over the years that Apple has under promised and over delivered. I don’t think this will be any different.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I love the fanbois instant refusal to accept something negative.

Same was with touch id. Second generation was faster and had less false readings. The same will be with faceid.

Let's all be honest. The X won't be the most perfect amazing phone in existence. It will have its flaws. But hey, you don't want to hear that as so many of you are about to buy something you really can't afford because you feel it will make your life somehow seem complete.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
These are the same analysts that have been saying Apple only began production, and there’ll be pretty much 0 handsets at launch.

They’ll always find something to analyse or publish whether or not there’s any truth in it.

Also, there’s a huge leap here that the net result of any changes will reduce the accuracy of the Face ID.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
At the end of the day there is a base specification for the FaceID system that has to be met due to security requirements etc. So if any changes have been made, it still has to be to an incredibly high standard.

Can you imagine if FaceID let in an intruder because Apple lowered the spec? Um that would never happen.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
Well don't attack the messenger, I'm just giving the info. Take it as you will. In defense of Bloomberg reporting, even Steve Jobs respected them. No need for the rudeness.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I do find it funny that if the news doesn't fit your agenda it must be FAKE NEWS.

It may well be true, it may also have no effect on anyone. Saying that it may be the next 'gate' - keep your minds open people and stop believing what you want to be true.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Well don't attack the messenger, I'm just giving the info. Take it as you will. In defense of Bloomberg reporting, even Steve Jobs respected them. No need for the rudeness.
I don't think anyone personally attacked you. I think others are questioning the article itself and the validity behind it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iphonethenickel

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
If this is true and it affects Face ID accuracy then reviewers and YouTube videos will be all over this.
Apple know this, they know that sites looking by for views will be testing for bending and everything else because views mean money.
If Face ID doesn’t match Touch ID in accuracy and speed then I’ll be returning mine. The whole idea of moving to Face ID should be because it’s better in every way.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
The Bloomberg name alone is enough credibility. They’ve basically never been wrong in the past. Bloomberg is up there with Ming-Chi Kuo in terms of accuracy. Sometimes, they’re slow to confirm news through their own sources (e.g. abandonment of Touch ID) but they hardly ever report incorrect Apple news.

LOL at the people questioning the source. What do you expect Bloomberg writers to do? Have their Apple or Foxconn source do a recorded video while holding up their employee badge? Did Kuo have a quote from an Apple employee by name and rank when he revealed iPhone X would lack Touch ID way back in July 2017?

Reactions: DunMeClip

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
This is Apple's own making!
By hanging on to a tired design (iphone 6) for too long (on the strength and reliability of ios ), it let Android makers race ahead in industrial design. Ultimately, it was forced bring too many changes in one go and it appears things are getting out of hand for the world's most valuable company!

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
The company let suppliers reduce accuracy of the phone’s Face ID system to speed up production.
The way they’re describing it kind of throws me off here. The Face ID “system” is a collection of sensors/cameras combined with software. Sounds more specifically like they’re claiming the dot projector isn’t as accurate?

Guess we’ll see next week.

mdellepi

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
Germany
I don't think it's fake news. However, the cutoff parameters to pass quality and control in mass production are something that is constantly tweaked, in response to more testing and study. As it is, this news doesn't mean a lot. It might just be that Apple noticed that they can achieve similar results with less precise sensors. Or not. Unfortunately we will not be able to tell...
[doublepost=1508923111][/doublepost]
The way they’re describing it kind of throws me off here. The Face ID “system” is a collection of sensors/cameras combined with software. Sounds more specifically like they’re claiming the dot projector isn’t as accurate?

Guess we’ll see next week.
Exactly. It sounds strange that Apple order was to "reduce FaceID accuracy". What they probably did was to change the accuracy requirements for one or more of the sensors involved in the technology. We don't know how this will affect the final system. As far as we know, an improvement in the machine learning software could compensate for the less precise sensors...

Reactions: profets

jamesrick80

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2014
Don't drop your phone directly on the fragile and now weaker notch tech for sure. Why replace touch ID if face ID is now weaker and less accurate......with cheaper components. Saves Apple even more money to profit off its fans now.

Last edited:

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Don't drop your phone directly on the fragile and now weaker notch tech for sure. Why replace touch ID if face ID is now weaker and less accurate......with cheaper components. Saves Apple even more money to profit off its fans now.
it will still be more accurate than every fingerprint sensor out there. sooo who cares?

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I love the fanbois instant refusal to accept something negative.

Same was with touch id. Second generation was faster and had less false readings. The same will be with faceid.

Let's all be honest. The X won't be the most perfect amazing phone in existence. It will have its flaws. But hey, you don't want to hear that as so many of you are about to buy something you really can't afford because you feel it will make your life somehow seem complete.
So, we just have to accept every unsubstantiated rumor as facts ?, or run the risk of being called a Fanboi (spelling!)

and that the next batch of touch ID was just better hardware, like all newer/ second gen hardware ?

How do you like your Samsung ? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Iphonethenickel

Status
Not open for further replies.